Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

e46 Rough Idle

I'd be VERY surprised if that was DISA - it changes the intake path from short to long (sort of), and shouldn't give those issues at all.

Mine was mechanically perfect - no play whatsoever - I actually suspect it was faulty from new - the internal diaphragm was poorly installed and leaked.

That noise - I know it's hard to hear it on a video, but that either sounds like a genuine backfire, or a more serious issue.

I'd scan it for missfire codes, then swap coil packs to see if it moves to another cylinder. New plugs, and make sure the plug recesses aren't full of oil.

Got my DISA and VANOS repair kits from germanautosolutions.com plus a 1.2bar radiator cap.

I've rebuilt my DISA with a kit - with a kit from i7 automotive https://www.i6automotive.co.uk/vehicle-parts/bmw/bmw-disa-valve-intake-adjuster-unit-aluminium-repair-kit-2-2-2-5.html  Improved throttle response and midrange to a small degree... nothing to do with misfires.  i6 Automotive quality kit, arrived quickly from UK, I think I bought via eBay (easy!) and it was less expensive than German Auto Solutions.  Took me less than an hour, including dropping a couple of bolts.

First:  a good scan of the car.  Then, if it's air leaks (lean codes), PCV system (all those hoses etc), intake boot etc are likely culprits.  

If you're getting misfire codes on specific cylinders, probably your coils.  Replace all six at once, might as well do your plugs while you're in there.

HTH

8 hours ago, Olaf said:

I've rebuilt my DISA with a kit - with a kit from i7 automotive https://www.i6automotive.co.uk/vehicle-parts/bmw/bmw-disa-valve-intake-adjuster-unit-aluminium-repair-kit-2-2-2-5.html  Improved throttle response and midrange to a small degree... nothing to do with misfires.  i6 Automotive quality kit, arrived quickly from UK, I think I bought via eBay (easy!) and it was less expensive than German Auto Solutions.  Took me less than an hour, including dropping a couple of bolts.

First:  a good scan of the car.  Then, if it's air leaks (lean codes), PCV system (all those hoses etc), intake boot etc are likely culprits.  

If you're getting misfire codes on specific cylinders, probably your coils.  Replace all six at once, might as well do your plugs while you're in there.

HTH

yeah on the scan tool last time i remember some misfires - but i thought it might have been oil related i.e. some one mentioned having too thick oil in those engines can make o-rings stick and not go to the wall so loosing compression - but coils could have been the answer to that problem ages ago and was just coincidence the problem hasn't been as bad since the oil cihange.

Agreed - the sticky ring scenario is a bit tenuous.  And hell, why would anyone use other than oil conforming to BMW LL01 5W30 unless it’s used on a race track?  Assuming no leaks, Misfire due to coil breakdown is more likely.

After my PCV System was done, I was getting occasional misfire codes.  I replaced all the coils, it’s been sweet since then.

If your coils are the later clip-in (not bolt-in) style, and don’t want to go to the expense of a full set, there’s three for sale in the ‘For Sale’ room, it’ll be a good few pages back now.

HTH

Have you cleaned the throttle body, the ICV, and the maf?

These are all free to do, apart from the costs of the cleaners, which you will use again anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Olaf said:

Agreed - the sticky ring scenario is a bit tenuous.  And hell, why would anyone use other than oil conforming to BMW LL01 5W30 unless it’s used on a race track?  Assuming no leaks, Misfire due to coil breakdown is more likely.

After my PCV System was done, I was getting occasional misfire codes.  I replaced all the coils, it’s been sweet since then.

If your coils are the later clip-in (not bolt-in) style, and don’t want to go to the expense of a full set, there’s three for sale in the ‘For Sale’ room, it’ll be a good few pages back now.

HTH

their bolt in style - definitely could have just always been a coil, failing on cold start up, 

not sure how exactly coils work - but maybe thats a common symptom of them on the way out

think some cleans going to be a good place to start - then go from there.

Edited by 325_driver

One thing to note... if you’re in a situation like I was, my fuel filter was 16 years old. It was causing a misfire in cylinder 2. 

• Like 1

hmmm

might be worth to add on the list - maybe it is something that simple 

coil / ignition

or fuel

Gabe - whens your next FCP round? Anyone getting some parts from overseas shortly?

I wouldnt mind replacing the fuel filter - it's been a while id say (like say atleast 100k+)

Misfire does sound lean related on start up - heard it again today (does a few misfire pops)

43 minutes ago, 325_driver said:

Gabe - whens your next FCP round? Anyone getting some parts from overseas shortly?

I wouldnt mind replacing the fuel filter - it's been a while id say (like say atleast 100k+)

Misfire does sound lean related on start up - heard it again today (does a few misfire pops)

Funny you should ask... I'm ordering control arms this week. PM me what you're after?

42 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

Funny you should ask... I'm ordering control arms this week. PM me what you're after?

Sweet - will do,

thought i would get my parts in from the states before the kiwi dollar tanks some more!

Whats the est cost on shipping?