Sign in to follow this  
Craigus

335i wastegate rattle with installation of new DPs

I just picked up my 335i from BM Workshop having asked them to fit my VRSF DPs.  I have been running an MHD stage 1+ tune and have and upgraded CP and FMIC.  I do have a custom tune booked but I'm not keen to throw more horsepower until I sort this issue.

Since having the DPs installed, definately notice a performace improvement, but I immediately noticed the familiar wastegate rattle that drives me nutz!.  I understand that it's a wear and tear issue around the wastegate actuator arm bushing and in a perfect world would replace the turbo's or have them rebuilt.  I'm interested to know what others have done to try and resolve this issue.  The technician did note that my vacum lines look worn and thats a job for this weekend to sort. 

Could a vacum leak contribute to the WG not closing and hence the rattle?

Why would installing the DP immediately start the rattle when it wasn't there before?  less back pressure?

Appreciate any comments

The cats filter out the sound, everything doubles in volume with a catless DP. 

See if the vacuum lines help I guess. Did you ask the BM Workshop guys for their thoughts? They've surely dealt with plenty of these cases, I imagine they could judge how bad it sounds. 

Edited by Matth5

1 hour ago, Matth5 said:

The cats filter out the sound, everything doubles in volume with a catless DP. 

See if the vacuum lines help I guess. Did you ask the BM Workshop guys for their thoughts? They've surely dealt with plenty of these cases, I imagine they could judge how bad it sounds. 

Yes that makes sense.  unfortunately the technician was out when I picked up but I will follow up.  It sounds ugly!

You could try using the MHD rattle adjustment and see if that helps.  I went through the exact same process and managed to get the turbos replaced under warranty, but even the new ones have some rattle

I used the MHD rattle adjustment and seems to have removed it.  Not a perfect solution but at least I don't get that annoying rattle sound anymore.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:49 PM, mattone74 said:

You could try using the MHD rattle adjustment and see if that helps.  I went through the exact same process and managed to get the turbos replaced under warranty, but even the new ones have some rattle

Yeah thanks for the tip.  I am going to see if I can reduce the rattle by adjusting the actuator arm first.  Just bought a 4mm wrench which feels like a toy.  After that I'll give the MHD adjustment a go.

Amazing that you got new turbo's on warranty!!.  I have an autosure policy but just assumed that they would consider it wear and tear or that the mods would exclude me from that sort of claim.  I'd be interested to find out more?

13 hours ago, thorburn said:

You could fix it properly with a kit like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-335I-135I-535I-N54-Mitsubishi-TD03-Wastegate-Rattle-Flapper-Rebuild-Kit-/111856454441

Fairly expensive process if you're paying someone to do it though 

Thanks for the link.  Looks like exactly what would sort it but probably above my DIY level!!.  I'll definitely consider it though

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:55 PM, Poiddy said:

Where did you get your parts from?

AFE DCI's , ARMs Motorsport FMIC and CP, Tial BOV, VRSF DP's

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:55 PM, Poiddy said:

Where did you get your parts from?

Probably wont be news to many but in my search for answers, I found this thread on e90post.com which was really interesting and what I am going to try first, hence my 4mm wrench purchase.  Lots of detail and comments about adjusting the actuator arm length.  http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176269  

The MHD fix and manually tightening up the actuator arm are at best temporary solutions. The issue as mentioned is a worn bushing.

On 10/13/2017 at 10:29 PM, Craigus said:

Thanks for the link.  Looks like exactly what would sort it but probably above my DIY level!!.  I'll definitely consider it though

I'd be keen to help with installing the rebuild kit. I understand getting the manifolds off is really the hard bit

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:45 PM, Herbmiester said:

The MHD fix and manually tightening up the actuator arm are at best temporary solutions. The issue as mentioned is a worn bushing.

Thanks John.  Yeah this video is quite informative.  I have seen it and realise that other solutions only temporary

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:30 PM, thorburn said:

I'd be keen to help with installing the rebuild kit. I understand getting the manifolds off is really the hard bit

Cheers for the offer James.  I'm going to pursue the warrantee option first but if it's a no go then I may touch base to discuss.  Appreciate the offer

On 10/13/2017 at 10:27 PM, Craigus said:

Yeah thanks for the tip.  I am going to see if I can reduce the rattle by adjusting the actuator arm first.  Just bought a 4mm wrench which feels like a toy.  After that I'll give the MHD adjustment a go.

Amazing that you got new turbo's on warranty!!.  I have an autosure policy but just assumed that they would consider it wear and tear or that the mods would exclude me from that sort of claim.  I'd be interested to find out more?

You problem with autosure lies with your car needing to be stock to claim but if the rattle is only heard with the aftermarket downpipes then how do you proceed.