Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Damo

Cls63 Project

22 posts in this topic

After 10 or so years around this forum, building turbo E30's and 2002's, ive moved to wrenching on the competition as seen here:

Genuine question guys.

Can someone tell me where the hell the enthusiast community is for this stuff?

Yes I know, finish it, sell it and buy a M car. I hear you already.

I guess ill just keep posting here as a build thread until i find a better place.

Next steps: chassis is off for rail replacement, and engine is on the bench so I can make 3" turbo back downpipes.

1 person likes this

Few of us mercs owners around here. No real local community. More merc owners on euro car club facebook than any other place 

Edited by HaNs

W126 500SE and W201 2.6-3.0 here. :)
There's a couple of groups on Facebook, and a few more formal Mercedes Clubs around:

Auckland Mercedes Club (actually the Mercedes-Benz Car Club even if it says 'Auckland' at the top of the page)
Wellington AMG Club

Mercedes themselves run the Mercedes 'Owners Online' group for those who've bought a new or used car from a Mercedes dealer: 

Several clubs may have fallen by the wayside. There used to be the Mercedes Car Club - mbcc.org.nz - and the Mercedes Benz Club Canterbury - www.cinch.org.nz. Both websites are now used for something else.

Nice one. 

What's the go here, chassis rail damage and repair?

1 hour ago, Michael. said:

Nice one. 

What's the go here, chassis rail damage and repair?

Correct, RH Apron rail and chassis rail. Off on the truck to have that done now.

20171009_122145-EFFECTS.jpg

1 person likes this

Cool.

Take some pictures of the engine out of the car if you can, curious to see what they look like, headers and such. 

Your a keen man mate, good on you!  looking forward to watching it come together.

yeah, no need to leave here, we're a broad church.  Interested to see how it all comes together.

2 hours ago, Michael. said:

Cool.

Take some pictures of the engine out of the car if you can, curious to see what they look like, headers and such. 

It's commonly known (and super obvious once you see it with your own eyes) the downpipes are an abortion, performance wise. They end up only 25mm wide at some points!!!!

20171008_100111.jpg

1 person likes this

Some more pics of the damage:

20171008_144331.jpg

20171008_144315.jpg

20171009_121822.jpg

And the 5.5 twin turbo v8:

20171008_100123.jpg

20171008_100117.jpg

20171008_100059.jpg

20171008_100105.jpg

20171008_100159.jpg

20171008_100150.jpg

20171008_100055.jpg

1 person likes this

Wow that's really cool, good pictures.

Didn't realise these were the 5.5 Twin Turbo V8s, keep on thinking of them as the old 6.2 types! 

Looks like quite a pretty clever compact package.

More than enough power and torque so little matter the dump pipes aren't perfect, look like massive cats anyway?

5 minutes ago, Michael. said:

Wow that's really cool, good pictures.

Didn't realise these were the 5.5 Twin Turbo V8s, keep on thinking of them as the old 6.2 types! 

Looks like quite a pretty clever compact package.

More than enough power and torque so little matter the dump pipes aren't perfect, look like massive cats anyway?

Those aren't even the cats!!! I've taken those pipes off now I'll take some pics that show just how squashed they are. Frees up 50HP/50nm or so to go straight pipes, along with matching tune of course. 

I have a 6.2 c63 wagon also :) They kept the 63 moniker but change over to the 5.5 twin turbo platform in the E63 and CLS63 around 2012.

1 person likes this

Nice, fast work. You a fabricator?

I really like the CLS shape. Wouldn't give up my Wagon W204 C63 for it though haha 

What you doing tune wise?

14 hours ago, HaNs said:

Nice, fast work. You a fabricator?

I really like the CLS shape. Wouldn't give up my Wagon W204 C63 for it though haha 

What you doing tune wise?

Not a fabricator, just a hacker :) Electronic engineering is my daily bread.

Not a lot of options on the tune, short of getting in on that EEPROM myself. Tempting, but it will depend on time commitments. Otherwise there are a few tuners around NZ who have already bought tunes from some of the bigger merc tuners out there that I can buy.

1 hour ago, Damo said:

Not a fabricator, just a hacker :) Electronic engineering is my daily bread.

Not a lot of options on the tune, short of getting in on that EEPROM myself. Tempting, but it will depend on time commitments. Otherwise there are a few tuners around NZ who have already bought tunes from some of the bigger merc tuners out there that I can buy.

Its all based in the tricore processor on your car. If you need a hand let me know.

23 minutes ago, HaNs said:

Its all based in the tricore processor on your car. If you need a hand let me know.

OK OK, now I see the link in your sig :) I'll hit you up for sure.

Check out the Ozbenz Facebook page. 

Not a bad page, similar to this site - mostly real enthusiasts, not f**kwits wanting to drop them on 20s for the stance and other tacky mods. 

Have you run into any dramas with your C63 regarding the head bolts and camshafts? 

Autohaus in Auckland gave an approx figure of $14k for camshafts, lifters and head bolts for the M156 engine. Which has put me off buying a w211 e63 and made me look at the e55 instead. Which I will may purchase before Xmas if I find the right one. 

His is a later 5.5 turbo, not sure if the same issues. Put me off too as it wipes $15k off the price of every 6.2 63 on the market. Either a 55 or this later turbo was my thought.

Cool project Damo, look forward to seeing it completed.

11 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

His is a later 5.5 turbo, not sure if the same issues. Put me off too as it wipes $15k off the price of every 6.2 63 on the market. Either a 55 or this later turbo was my thought.

Cool project Damo, look forward to seeing it completed.

He said he also owns a c63. 

W211 E63 is in the same boat as the E60 M5 in the way of non existant resale and excessively high repair costs when the shtf. Can pick both up for low $20k these days. A lot of car for the money. Give it two years and the twin turbo v8s will be in the $30k territory.

True, forgot.

22 hours ago, coop said:

He said he also owns a c63. 

W211 E63 is in the same boat as the E60 M5 in the way of non existant resale and excessively high repair costs when the shtf. Can pick both up for low $20k these days. A lot of car for the money. Give it two years and the twin turbo v8s will be in the $30k territory.

Never had a high k's M156 motored car, so hasn't been a concern. As you say, plenty of 10 year old, circa 100,00k M156 based cars out there for relatively cheap.

Headbolt change isn't a big deal, but you also have to watch for cam/lifter wear.

As for depreciation, it's how most of us on this forum get to drive Euro's :)

1 person likes this