Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Fast Italian. Faster Swede.

400km/h is very fast. Much faster than the majority of people will ever experience in a land vehicle, and that it now features as a 'contest' between car manufacturers is astonishing.

On August 6th, a very carefully prepared Bugatti Chiron performed an astonishing - incredible? - feat by accelerating from 0-400km/h, and back to a standstill, in around 42 seconds. Two parts of this sentence are important - the 'carefully prepared' part, and the 'around 42 seconds' - normally I'd be a lot more precise.

However, that's now irrelevant.

On October 1st, a hastily cobbled together attempt on the same feat was carried out by Koenigsegg using a customers car. Last minute location arrangements using a bumpy, unprepared and slippery concrete military runway which was strictly too short for the purpose, no other car being available so "we took a customer car which had been prepared for delivery," and a factory driver who wasn't confirmed as available until the day of the drive.

Which took over 5 seconds less than the Chiron. Actually, 0-403-0 in 37.28 seconds. The 0-400-0 took just 36.44 seconds. The final run included wheelspin when changing into 3rd gear, logging show 183km/h at the time.

The 0-400 acceleration is on a par with the world's fastest production motorbike which, derestricted, also takes 26 seconds to reach 400km/h. It does cost a little less, of course.

Full details of the Koenigsegg run are here. But for those who thought tl;dr and couldn't be bothered with the link, here's a video.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

Nice - maybe I can trade the Saab in on one ? 

I was trying to think of a downside.
There's not a huge amount of luggage room, but CvK would almost certainly do ski-racks so you could carry stuff outside, and I'm sure a towbar could be sorted if you really wanted one...

Go for it.

1 hour ago, kiwi535 said:

I assume the motorbike is Kawasaki H2R?

Yes.

Top speed quotes vary for the H2R, but the upper end is 400km/h.

Imagine if they used the Regera - thats even faster.

And - they've just driven at 277.9mph on a (closed) public road - a 11 mile stretch of interstate in the US was closed for the run(s).

That's an average speed - highest officially recorded speed was 284.7mph. That followed an earlier unofficial 291mph...

On a public road. :o 

300mph is so close, yet still so far away.

Edited by gjm
  • Like 1