Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Where to stay before a northbound inter-island ferry

Travelling up through the South Island, and catching a ferry from Picton to Wellington.

Where to stay the night before? Essentially (I'm guessing) either Nelson or Blenheim.

Any recommendations or suggestions for one town instead of the other? Which is perhaps more interesting for a single night stay? Does either have a particularly good brewery?

Edited by gjm

Blenheim is, essentially, boring.  There is one saving grace:  Raizada, aka Roger's Kitchen.  Best Indian food I've had in NZ, by a long margin.  The produce he sources is local, of very high quality, which is reflected in the flavours.  Okay, perhaps I'm being uncharitable, there are some nice hills around Blenheim to walk up and enjoy the scenery.  And there's a very good classic car museum plus the WW1 and WW2 fighter collections at Omaka.  I visted 'Dangerous Skies' with my son 2 weeks ago, it was most worthwhile.  Not like going to Duxford, 'Dangerous Skies' is much smaller scale though the displays are excellent.

Not a lot to do in Picton.  Though there is a picturesque waterfront to amble around.  You could stay in Waikawa Bay, a 5 min drive from Picton.  Even more beautiful than Picton.

It's just 20 mins from Blenheim to Picton.

HTH

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Olaf said:

Raizada, aka Roger's Kitchen.  Best Indian food I've had in NZ, by a long margin.

Not a lot to do in Picton.  Though there is a picturesque waterfront to amble around.  You could stay in Waikawa Bay, a 5 min drive from Picton.  Even more beautiful than Picton.

It's just 20 mins from Blenheim to Picton.

Anywhere to get a reasonable meal in Waikawa? Scenic is good. We'll be heading into the area (Nelson, Blenheim, Picton) from Moana, with a view to staying overnight before a leisurely crossing the following day.

Anyone have any thoughts about Nelson?

Thinking about Waikawa Bay... Looks pretty (which is far more important than nightlife!) and has a respectable-looking cafe/bar at the Jolly Roger. Very close to Picton, too... Perhaps closer than I'd thought of being, but that's hardly an issue.

If there's time and/or the weather is nice, we could always stop in Nelson on the way through.

Edited by gjm

the road from nelson to Blenhein is quite hilly and curvy too.So its not a particularly fast trip either.

• Like 1

Booked at the Buccaneer Lodge in Waikawa Bay. Looks nice, rated well, good price.

Ferry will be the 14.00 crossing... Can't be doing with early starts when we're on a leisurely trip! But it leaves a bit of time in the morning to have a look around.

• Like 1

The road from Nelson to Picton is superb, two great mountain ranges to cross.  Great scenery, excellent curves.   Nelson has plenty to see and do, leaving at 1000hrs gives you a good margin to check in to your 1400 ferry at 1300hrs.

Still, you'll enjoy waikawa bay.  

20171004-_DSC2113_LR_1600_300dpi.jpg

We know we have no chance of seeing everything on this trip, but it'll help us put together a list of places to go next time. :)

42 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

is the big merc getting another run?

Not this time. :)

It'd be more than up to the task, of course, but she'll be tucked up cosy, warm and dry while we're away.