Sign in to follow this  
Gabe79

Electric cars emit 50% less greenhouse gas than diesel, study finds

I will use my low tech battery ev for now, if and when the tech/ infrastructure becomes financially viable I will look at converting it to a fuel cell ev, it could be an interesting project but I'm not holding my breath!! 

1 hour ago, tawa said:

Since I lack ... a weighbridge...

WTF? F'*$K of then, your opinion is worthless.

FFS. <_<

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, M3AN said:

FFS. <_<

ahahahaha

• Like 1

19 hours ago, M3AN said:

FFS. <_<

I mean, I could macguyver something together if I got a tesla out of it though; all I'd need would be 8 mules, 700ft of 12AWG string, and a bunny in a comical hat

10 hours ago, 3pedals said:

Close but not quite accurate - trimming 200 to 400kg out of vehicle is significant in terms of eficiency and drive dynamics - look at the i3.

The combined system of the hydrogen tank and fuel cell still provides a much higher energy density per kg than the battery system  and the overall weight is significantly lower in some cases (Tesla)  comparable in other (330e) - so weight and performance are both better key benefits of hydrogen are:

• lower overall mass - better vehicle performance 
  • much shorter recharge time,
  • lower infrastructure cost. 

I'd go battery today if I chose to run an EV today  and it would be a 330e BUT instead I choose to wait until the hydrogen option is available in NZ 

More significant is wasting 30-50% of your energy fuel before you can even get it into the car.

Does lower mass equal better performance though? Is the Tesla model S outperformed by the Mirai then?

I agree the recharge time is an issue.

Infrastructure cost is debatable at scale, for now (very small scale) the infrastructure is there to support EVs on our roads, but requires a large cost to support hydrogen vehicles.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

Low quality obfuscating argument - checking out - have  good day 

Don't be so hard on yourself, while the weight issue you brought up was obfuscating, your point about recharge time is not low quality.

2 hours ago, tawa said:

Infrastructure cost is debatable at scale, for now (very small scale) the infrastructure is there to support EVs on our roads, but requires a large cost to support hydrogen vehicles.

This is where I think New Zealand will struggle, with the low population density in 95% of the geography, how feasible is it to have two alternative fuel supply networks? I think you will stuggle to fast chargers into some parts of NZ, as there will never be the population demand to justify the cost of putting in the charger and the supply gubbins.

EV charging network is "charging" ahead, geddit??, already so it certainly has the advantage now. It would take a very brave person / company to put up the coin to develop a rival hydrogen supply network now that the oppposition is so far in front. Maybe when Tesla the "golden child" has fallen over, the masses might have a re-think and look at alternative alternatives to ICEs?

• Like 1

On the contrary I wonder if NZ could one day be a good small test bed for hydrogen technology, like the tests the did with Eftpos back in the day. Different matters all together, but you never know.

I'm sure there have been lots of things from international entities being tested here on a mass scale. 

44 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

This is where I think New Zealand will struggle, with the low population density in 95% of the geography, how feasible is it to have two alternative fuel supply networks? I think you will stuggle to fast chargers into some parts of NZ, as there will never be the population demand to justify the cost of putting in the charger and the supply gubbins.

EV charging network is "charging" ahead, geddit??, already so it certainly has the advantage now. It would take a very brave person / company to put up the coin to develop a rival hydrogen supply network now that the oppposition is so far in front. Maybe when Tesla the "golden child" has fallen over, the masses might have a re-think and look at alternative alternatives to ICEs?

That could be of benefit if we go to a more distributed generation and buffered power network. Micro-hydro and wind and even some solar out in that 95% could be buffered by powerwalls or even just cars capable of backfeeding into the network to even out blips in demand from supercharging, depending on how much buffering goes on you could lose all the efficiency gains (viaAC/DC rectumfrying and back again) batts have over hydrogen though.

Carbon nano batts could knock Tesla over (though I suspect Elon would pivot to make use of such tech and stay in the game) and knock out hydrogen too. Or other battery chemistry, or supercaps, or even room temp superconductors. I wonder if we'll get to the point where trucking electricity out to remote locations is their most viable source of energy

Seems interesting how well his use of language aligns with his views, using gay as a derogatory terms immediately marks him as a bit backward, angry, and somewhat uneducated. Reading the article certainly doesn't change that view of him based on his EV views! Not that the EV bloke sounds like much of a winner either...

• Like 1

Thought the article was a bit off myself. 

Brave enough to say that after somebody else. :unsure:

• Like 1

come on buttercup it was supposed to be offensively funny, its nothing you wouldn't laugh at on family guy or south park.

I f you or your friends havn't called someone gay in your own conversations then your obviously gay :)

• Like 1

But it's not funny. Guy just sounds like a dick.

I'm not at all offended by it.

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 8:44 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

some parts of NZ still can't get cell phone coverage AND there's more than one supplier.

Its years away and a better alterative will come up.

6 hours ago, M3AN said:

But it's not funny. Guy just sounds like a dick.

I'm not at all offended by it.

And taking the piss out of electric cars without any puns, that's just shockingly bad form!

RegularCars guy does it better imo https://youtu.be/m-gDhq8VKsQ

fusion energy is where its at.

cars will be powered for life and you will pay only for your kms.

no petrol stations you either prepay like road users or your car will be tracked by GPS and sent a bill for your kms.

maybe 50 years away but that's where it heading

I occasionally browse this thread for a chuckle fix :D.

Sooo not sure this is on topic but I think its kinda related to the humorous nature of the thread... http://www.nzlii.org/nz/cases/NZMVDT/2017/209.html

What I find most amusing about this decision is... why on earth would you negotiate the addition of a tow bar to a Leaf???? ;)

Edited by treone
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, treone said:

I occasionally browse this thread for a chuckle fix :D.

Sooo not sure this is on topic but I think its kinda related to the humorous nature of the thread... http://www.nzlii.org/nz/cases/NZMVDT/2017/209.html

What I find most amusing about this decision is... why on earth would you negotiate the addition of a tow bar to a Leaf???? ;)

So, I see requests for towbars onto Leafs all the time on the Leaf Facebook group. I think it's weird, and silly, but... I have seen towbars on Audi RS7s here in New Zealand, and to me that's just as weird... 

And towbars on M3's... owners manual explicitly states "DO NOT TOW WITH THIS VEHICLE"... :-/

towbars on an Audi RS and M car make more sense than one on a Leaf. Or any other electric car for that matter :D. Maybe its to tow their electric trailer or electric caravan or electric boat or electric... ;).

I wonder how long it took to recharge in Whakatane after running out in Matata to allow the owner to return back to homebase? In fact how many charges were required for the round trip? Which makes me wonder - how many charges are required to say go on a 3000km summer road trip? In fact, how many weeks more than the few days it takes in a combustion engine type vehicle will it take to travel that distance? Does the charge frequency increase and range decrease when towing the electric trailer? At least you'll be emitting 50% less of whatever the name of this thread is B)

And please don't take this post too seriously folks ;)

Edited by treone

Maybe the towbar is for towing the generator you need to go further than 130Km, that makes it a hybrid! ;)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Michael. said:

Can you charge as you drive with a trailer generator attached?? 

No, alas.