Sign in to follow this  
drtimwright

Hissing sound & some steam from front. E36 328i

Hey everyone,

My car (1998, E36, 328i) just started hissing from the front and a bit of steam coming out. The steam didn't last long. The hissing lasted 5 or 10 minutes (so far...)

The sound comes most strongly from the front left grill (as you face the same way as the car - so passenger side). So I suspect a cooling system issue. There is no coolant leak on the ground and a visual inspection (at night with phone torch) didn't see anything obvious.

The radiator was replaced about 6 months ago. The reservoir tank is on the same side as the hissing. 

Anyone have any ideas - and do you think I can drive it to get it to the mechanic? (it's a 10-15 min drive to the guy I see). I'll check the level tomorrow once the engine cools down.

Thanks!

Tim

Almost definitely cooling system.

Was the replacement rad a new one?

Any hoses on that side of the rad?

3 minutes ago, gjm said:

Almost definitely cooling system.

Was the replacement rad a new one?

Any hoses on that side of the rad?

Replacement was new. I think there is a hose on that side - might check if it's attached properly in the sunlight.

Looks like one of the hoses connecting to the radiator is bulging. And there is an oil leak coming from the engine - the oil pump perhaps?

IMG_4747.JPG

IMG_4746.JPG

I regard hoses as a regular service item, especially on BMWs. It's not much to change, but worth checking the hose condition. It could be bulging because of age, or it may be a symptom of something else.

The oil leak - does it look like a mist which has applied itself to anything it touches?

What's the yellow in the pic?

1 minute ago, gjm said:

I regard hoses as a regular service item, especially on BMWs. It's not much to change, but worth checking the hose condition. It could be bulging because of age, or it may be a symptom of something else.

The oil leak - does it look like a mist which has applied itself to anything it touches?

What's the yellow in the pic?

The yellow is pine pollen on my driveway :)

The oil is only on that thing and the pipe that comes out the bottom of it - until the pipe goes horizontal then the oil goes away. The oil looks kinda misty but it's only on that one thing - whatever it is!

Tim

1 hour ago, drtimwright said:

The yellow is pine pollen on my driveway :)

That's one thing less to worry about! :) 

1 hour ago, drtimwright said:

The oil is only on that thing and the pipe that comes out the bottom of it - until the pipe goes horizontal then the oil goes away. The oil looks kinda misty but it's only on that one thing - whatever it is!

I think that's the power steering fluid reservoir. We need to try to diagnose what sort of oil you have misting on the surface. Always fun - all oil turns black when it's where it shouldn't be! Try wiping it with a clean white cloth (just kitchen paper towel will do) - if there's any red in it, it's probably PS fluid.

The PS reservoir can leak when full/overfull under hard cornering (comes out the bleed holes in the cap)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, eliongater said:

The PS reservoir can leak when full/overfull under hard cornering (comes out the bleed holes in the cap)

His does look grimy in the picture too. This is really obvious on a close inspection. Mine had goo all over it before being replaced. 

23 minutes ago, eliongater said:

I'd forgotten about that.

(No PS on the E30... ;) )

2 hours ago, eliongater said:

Well, it's not like I drive over the Remutaka pass every day in an overpowered old car...no wait...that might be me... 

I wiped the thing off the 'oil' was mostly oily black soot (see attached photo). Which means it might be an old PS leak that's since carbonized and I should drive more moderately.

Tim

IMG_4749.JPG

• Like 2

On the radiator front the wifes e36 328i did a similar thing last weekend. Noticed the coolant coming out from somewhere near the top of the overflow tank. The tank was replaced last year.

I bought a new radiator cap and took off and put on and re-tighten the top hose into it and did a basic top up with water.

Cooling system was now holding pressure. Went or a drive and found it needed further coolant. Put car on step part of driveway nose up. Turned on heater and bleed system. Got wife to do a couple of short drives and rechecked ... all good.

Will replace the water with anti-freeze this weekend.

• Like 1