Sign in to follow this  
Kiwi_BMW

540is getting a refresh

Well this is coming up to 200k on the clock and instead of selling it I decided to give it a facelift and a refresh

Decided to replace all bushes, arms and joints in the front and rear suspension.

IMG_1230.JPG

Then into a full groom, just some of the cleaning produces required for the job

IMG_1334.JPG

Start under the bonnet

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

Edited by Kiwi_BMW
added to
  • Like 8

Some of the additions and retrofit items that are planned are the addition of front pdc, hid headlights, auto on headlights, led taillights, M5 servotronic steering, new shocks front & rear, M5 front swaybar, undecided as to if I fit a M5 rear bar or Eibach.

I'm looking for a set of E38 sport/comfort seats (anyone??)

Also have a set of 18" mpars but do like the look of the Schnitzer type III's

• Like 2

Great work. How is it mechanically?

Mechanically it is excellent, I've owned it since 99k (3rd private owner + 2 car sales) and most of it's running since I got it has been hot running trips, ie Dunedin to ChCh, Dunedin to Nelson etc

Cooling system is on it's second replacement, all fluids changed every 12 months if needed or not.

Given the long trips the service lights have almost never come on, I left it once and did 3 services before the lights said I should service it.

2 hours ago, Kiwi_BMW said:

Mechanically it is excellent, I've owned it since 99k (3rd private owner + 2 car sales) and most of it's running since I got it has been hot running trips, ie Dunedin to ChCh, Dunedin to Nelson etc

Cooling system is on it's second replacement, all fluids changed every 12 months if needed or not.

Given the long trips the service lights have almost never come on, I left it once and did 3 services before the lights said I should service it.

Awesome. I love it when these cars are cared for properly.

Have you done the vanos seals or the timing chain guides?

I have noticed good improvements on doing the vanos seals on m52 and m54 engines.

It's pre vanos so no need to do that.

All the parts sitting on the shelf for the timing chain guides, all oem. Even have all the tools.

I made all the tools for replacing the subframe and diff bushes

• Like 1

Where did you source all your suspension parts from?  Im looking to do this for my 540is also.

Time for some elbow work.............the results a few days latter

IMG_1116.JPG

I removed all the trim while I clayed, cut and polished the paint.

IMG_1120.JPG

How's that for a clear reflection

IMG_1380.JPG

Think I need a new bonnet emblem

Edited by Kiwi_BMW
  • Like 4

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:04 PM, SRacin said:

Where did you source all your suspension parts from?  Im looking to do this for my 540is also.

I sourced everything out of the US and Europe, all the parts purchased have either been genuine BMW, Lemforder, and FAG wheel bearings. 

Well the swaybars, bushes, arms, ball joints and steering box have been done. While the wheels were off I cleaned them...........all the brake dust staining is gone........then I waxed them with wheel wax, lets see how easy they are to clean next time.

IMG_1406.JPG

IMG_1409.JPG

While I still have to replace all the shocks, spring rubbers, mounts etc I have to say the car does feel a lot tighter and with the M5 steering box upgrade it feels as direct as the 530i M/sport, this has to be one of the best additions yet.

The car is flatter in corners but not quite as harsh riding as the e39 530 m/sport, it will be interesting to see what it is like once all the shocks are replaced.

Edited by Kiwi_BMW
  • Like 2

How many can tell me which part is which vintage of E39?

IMG_1385a.jpg

IMG_1388a.jpg

IMG_1393a.jpg

• Like 2

which part is which vintage of E39, there are a few parts that are pfl and others that are fl, lets see who can get most/all of them.

Fl : headlights and tail lights

pre fl : front bumper (these were offered on pre fl m-tech spec’d cars) Also rear bumper, no change for fl/pre fl.

The rear acs lip, spoiler and mirrors are acs specific.

Does the front pdc actually work? If so that’s a fl feature afaik.

Is it manual?

Edited by BreakMyWindow

4 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Fl : headlights and tail lights

pre fl : front bumper (these were offered on pre fl m-tech spec’d cars) Also rear bumper, no change for fl/pre fl.

The rear acs lip, spoiler and mirrors are acs specific.

Does the front pdc actually work? If so that’s a fl feature afaik.

Is it manual?

Pretty close Martin, front bumper is FL.......take a close look at the pdc sensors in the front bumper. The pdc will work once the switch is wired up.

M/tech was not offered in prefl E39's prefl were "sport" which was different components compared to fl which were M/tech. All 6 speed manual 540i's were equiped with the "sport" package.

Pre fl sensors in a fl bumper rotates the sensor 90 deg.

Pre fl never had front & rear pdc only fl had that.

You missed the acs skirts and rear window trim B)

6 hours ago, Kiwi_BMW said:

Pretty close Martin, front bumper is FL.......take a close look at the pdc sensors in the front bumper. The pdc will work once the switch is wired up.

M/tech was not offered in prefl E39's prefl were "sport" which was different components compared to fl which were M/tech. All 6 speed manual 540i's were equiped with the "sport" package.

Pre fl sensors in a fl bumper rotates the sensor 90 deg.

Pre fl never had front & rear pdc only fl had that.

You missed the acs skirts and rear window trim B)

But ‘99 MY cars with pre-fl lights came with your same front bumper sans the front pdc. 

Edited by BreakMyWindow

1 hour ago, BreakMyWindow said:

But ‘99 MY cars with pre-fl lights came with your same front bumper sans the front pdc. 

Remember the E39 M5 was introduced in 1998, the M/tech front bumper was just a restyled grille in the M5 front bumper.

Also you will find the "sport" package was replaced with the m/sport package in 1998, while Europe and Asia got the M/sport package USA/Canada didn't get this package until 2003........the final year of production.

So really the m/sport bumpers are pre facelift and post facelift and the difference between the two is the "sport"  package and M/sport package 

57 minutes ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Anyway nice car, is it manual ?

Yes it is manual

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Nice, i can see the appeal for giving it a new lease of life.

Can't imagine anyone who would waste time on an automatic eh! 

• Like 1