Sign in to follow this  
BigPoppa

E39 540i - blown engine

Hey folks,

My beloved E39 recently slipped its timing chain and destroyed the engine beyond reasonably repairing.

I've since replaced the car and I'm wondering what the best method of recovering some value out of the car would be.

At this stage, I'm thinking I might just do a $1 reserve, buyer to pick up (engine is still mostly dismantled from the dealership) after taking out the Dynavin, sub and amp. Is there something better I could be doing?

Thanks!

For minimum hassle, $1 auction buyer must pick up.

For maximum profit, part it out. (also maximum hassle...)

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

48 minutes ago, BigPoppa said:

Hey folks,

My beloved E39 recently slipped its timing chain and destroyed the engine beyond reasonably repairing.

I've since replaced the car and I'm wondering what the best method of recovering some value out of the car would be.

At this stage, I'm thinking I might just do a $1 reserve, buyer to pick up (engine is still mostly dismantled from the dealership) after taking out the Dynavin, sub and amp. Is there something better I could be doing?

Thanks!

Where are you located?

Assuming the rest of the car is good, put a new engine in it, or sell it whole to someone with the intention of putting a new engine in it.

The latter would be my preference. The rest of the car isn't half bad. 

I have no desire to attempt that myself, nor pay for it to be done for me hahah.

I may be interested in the block if the bores are good.

Curious - what is your plan for the Dynavin?

Uhh, I'm going to try remove it nicely this weekend probably, then will be looking at selling it.

Unfortunately, I wont be looking at parting it out; I'll just sell it as a whole, so if anyone is interested in a particular part of the engine will need to take the whole lot.

42 minutes ago, BigPoppa said:

Uhh, I'm going to try remove it nicely this weekend probably, then will be looking at selling it.

Unfortunately, I wont be looking at parting it out; I'll just sell it as a whole, so if anyone is interested in a particular part of the engine will need to take the whole lot.

Take the whole engine or take the whole car?

I'm only after the block, but will pay for the whole engine if its cheap enough.

What model is the Dynavin? Possibly interested in it if it is suitable and can swap into the X5. And if you have no further use for it that is :D

8 hours ago, treone said:

What model is the Dynavin? Possibly interested in it if it is suitable and can swap into the X5. And if you have no further use for it that is :D

Be aware that although E39 & X5 factory monitors physically interchange, the differ in that they both have different screens to allow for the different viewing angles in each vehicle. I have seen an X5 monitor in an E39 & you need to be viewing from ceiling level to see a proper image.

E39 sits virtually vertical whereas X5 is near horizontal. Don't know how the Dynavin views though

10 hours ago, hotwire said:

E39 sits virtually vertical whereas X5 is near horizontal. Don't know how the Dynavin views though

Thanks @hotwire - didn't know there are differences between E39 & E53 monitor angles. I might have to stick with the factory monitor with tape deck and keep jammin' to my DJ mixtapes haha!

i reckon post up some pics of the car ...if it is as nice as you suggest it will sell itself