Sign in to follow this  
emandru

E34 525i Touring Project

Hey guys,

So about a year ago I picked up a 1995 525i auto touring with 275,000 kms (now has 302,000 kms) which has been my daily driver and now turning into a project car.  The car is in alright condition but does need some love to bring it back to its former glory.

It will be getting a manual transmission from a second e34 sedan that I own.

I'll also be upgrading suspension, brakes, wheels and eventually tinkering with the motor once I decide what I want to do (m60 v8 vs turbo m50b25 open to opinions).

Cosmetically I would like to clean up both the interior and exterior to what should be original condition and maybe some minor upgrades, but nothing too over the top. Exterior paint is in pretty rough condition with the clear coat peeling in many areas.  Inside, the leather seats have torn where you sit (already bought replacement seats), headliner is sagging, and steering wheel is fairly worn, instrument cluster lcd has gone out, would like to install factory radio or something similar back in. 

The goals for this project are;

#Do as much myself as I can.

#Learn as much as I can in the process.

#Teach others what I've learnt in the process.

#Build a pretty neat car by the end of it.

Obligatory pictures below!

Oh and if anyone has any ideas or parts for sale that might help me out, please shout out!

IMG_20171029_102236.jpg

IMG_20171029_102244.jpg

IMG_20171029_102253.jpg

IMG_20171029_102300.jpg

IMG_20171029_102311.jpg

IMG_20171029_102323.jpg

IMG_20171029_102332.jpg

IMG_20171029_102344.jpg

• Like 1

I'd put a M54B30 and manual trans in it, good modern engine, plenty of parts around, would go well.

M50 turbo is a lot of work, especially if you don't make up parts and weld it yourself.  

M60 would be easier, but finding a complete manual conversion kit is sometimes difficuilt and expensive, 6 cylinder trans don't work. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Michael. said:

I'd put a M54B30 and manual trans in it, good modern engine, plenty of parts around, would go well.

M50 turbo is a lot of work, especially if you don't make up parts and weld it yourself.  

M60 would be easier, but finding a complete manual conversion kit is sometimes difficuilt and expensive, 6 cylinder trans don't work. 

hmmmm havn't looked into that but do like the idea of a M54B30 especially considering the challenges associated with the M60. M50 turbo I do acknowledge is a lot of work but I think that's the part that excites me. I don't mind building parts myself but hate searching and waiting for randoms part to come onto the market for sale.

For sure. All options have their own difficulties, pros and cons.

It's easy to over capitalise in the engine side of things, not so much with costs, but time and complexity.

I think at least the M54 path is cost effective, offering an engine you can read with OBD2 systems for full code support if it plays up which is a real benefit over the older engines. 

I've had a few E34s over the years, would like another for sure. But one thing not to forget about is overhauling the suspension, especially on higher km examples, aside from the basics like shocks, its the ball joints, and just about every bush would need replacing, worth it in the long run of course! 

• Like 1