Sign in to follow this  
dirtydoogle

E53 stereo/head unit

Hi guys, I just picked up a f/l e53 and it has anothing aftermarket unit in the dash, I do not know the brand. 

It doesn't fit the dash very well and is a wee bit cumbersome to use (that may be me) 

Who has any experience with the fairly well priced units from overseas? Would be awesome keeping nav and Bluetooth. 

I see there are a heap of units available but really want to hear from owners in nz

What have you done to yours, how is it to use and what's the fitment like? 

20171029_120632.jpg

have a dynavin unit in my e46 m3 , works well

most other copys of these are slow and stupid ,

maybe go to jap brand like pioneer or alpine etc , double din with adaptor plate etc

I should mention it has to look as factory as possible, I can't the look of stand aftermarket goodies like that 

Have considered the Dynavin units but they are a bit on the pricey side 

2 hours ago, dirtydoogle said:

I should mention it has to look as factory as possible, I can't the look of stand aftermarket goodies like that 

Have considered the Dynavin units but they are a bit on the pricey side 

yea i know , but every other one i have used , seen etc , just dont really proform.

was lucky enough to get a dynavin from a trade in that came through.

• Like 1

Worth noting also that an E39 or E38 unit may physically fit but the viewing angle will be all on the p1ss, you will find it hard to read

Did you figure out if it came from factory with a cassette type unit or a screen and nav type?

• Like 1

As above, If going back to factory option - make sure with the seller that it IS FROM an E53. Plenty of sellers miss represent that they fit E38/39 & E53.

Also E39 units (although viewing angle is the same) don't properly fit into the early E38 aperture - a ventilation duct fouls with the unit.

First off (again as above) - remove that unit & check the wiring behind. If there are spare blue & white plugs there - it would have had a factory monitor, if factory plugs connect to that unit then it was originally a non monitor car. If the latter is the case then it is a mission to retrofit a factory monitor in place of.

• Like 1

It has the "professional" factory unit in the glove box and is not a nav unit, just a beige spec one.

I removed this one today to check the wiring and it has been a bit hori'd up but nothing major. 

I'm a bit skeptical of the cheaper ones seeing as they're all much like the one in the car and there's not really any reviews. I'm too cheap to spring for a Dynavin though. It's a hard life I tell ya. 

Once I sell a few toys I'll give it a stereo birthday 

Sounds as if it was originally a non monitor vehicle - radio in the dash. These aftermarket screens are designed to plug/play into the original radio plug.

If the vehicle was fitted with a factory monitor, there would have been different plugs - the blue & white i mentioned above. In this case the radio, TV etc modules are all in the L/H rear of the vehicle so if fitting an aftermarket screen in place of the OEM, it needs an extra loom run from the dash (connected to the new monitor) back to the radio in the rear.

So, if your vehicle was originally non monitor, it is a big procedure to retrofit to OEM. Aftermarket is the easiest/ most economic option in this case, assuming you want a screen in the dash. Otherwise just revert it back to the dash radio.

It's originally non monitor 

Okay I'll buy a better unit for it once I sell off a toy or two :)

Are there any options that are similar to the Dynavin? Or just go get of of them 

2 hours ago, dirtydoogle said:

It's originally non monitor 

Okay I'll buy a better unit for it once I sell off a toy or two :)

Are there any options that are similar to the Dynavin? Or just go get of of them 

Talk to Joe @ Euro Surgeon. When i was last talking to him, he was not overly impressed with Dynavin for reliability. Not sure what he has.

• Like 1