Sign in to follow this  
drtimwright

Potential new purchase...

Hey,

So, I might be in the market for a new car and am contemplating a 116i Motorsport like this one (I test drove it today):

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1397977430.htm

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on that model.

Also, it's got an iDrive thing and needs an upgrade to get bluetooth streaming. The dealer said that the updated module (including installation) cost $1K - is this something I can do myself for less cost?

Tim

• Like 1

looks sharp & very tidy.

Far too expensive.  You could pick up at LEAST a 120i M sport for that money.  You could even go 320i or 328i for similar.

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

Far too expensive.  You could pick up at LEAST a 120i M sport for that money.  You could even go 320i or 328i for similar.

I already have a 328i :)

Anyway, I was after a 1.6l engine for fuel reasons. What are the differences between the 116i M sport and 120i M sports? They both seem to have 1.6l turbocharged engines. Although there are 100kw for the 116i vs 125kw for the 120i.

Hmm. That's 25% extra power...

Tim

WCD aren't known for great value buying... quite the opposite in fact.

As above you could certainly do better for a similar spend (or spend a bit less on something similar). 

15 minutes ago, SmithyInWelly said:

WCD aren't known for great value buying... quite the opposite in fact.

As above you could certainly do better for a similar spend (or spend a bit less on something similar). 

WCD are up front about that - the salesman said that they are picky about their cars so you'll often be able to find a cheaper one elsewhere. But salespeople so it's hard to know what salt to take with that.

The less expensive cars seem to be in Auckland or Christchurch for some reason - Welly dealers appear to be a couple of K higher than those two other centres. *shrug*

Tim

• Like 1

Yep, WCD are at the top end of pricing... though you won't find crappy tyres, and will frequently find brand new rotors and pads all round (as an example).   Bigger market in Auckland, greater competition for your $, lower prices.

This always stirs up comments and advise but with info collected and your personnel criteria for the vehicle in mind a decision will be forth coming no doubt. For the cost of the  bimmer mentioned their are a large number of options open to you trade me has some 11200 odd. So spreading the net far and wide best of luck with your search and new purchase no matter what the make or model

.https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/CategoryAttributeSearchResults.aspx?search=1&cid=268&sidebar=1&5=&14=&18=20000&18=25000&24=0&24=0&54=&searchRegion=100&sidebarSearch_keypresses=0&sidebarSearch_suggested=0