Sign in to follow this  
KiwiTT

BMW Recall

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/local/bmw-recalls-14m-vehicles-due-to-risk-of-under-hood-fires

BMW is recalling more than 1.4 million cars and SUVs in two U.S. recalls due to the risk of fires under the hood.

The biggest recall includes over 740,000 328i, 328xi, 328i xDrive, 525i, 525xi, 528i, 528xi, 530i, 530xi, X3 3.0si, X3 xDrive30i, X5 xDrive30i, Z4 3.0i, Z4 3.0si and Z4 sDrive30i vehicles from 2007-2011. Also included is the 2008-2011 128i.

Documents posted Friday by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration show that a heater for the positive crankcase ventilation valve can overheat and cause the valve to melt, increasing the risk of a fire even when the vehicle is not in use. No injuries have been reported. Dealers will replace the heater.

The second recall covers nearly 673,000 cars including the 323i, 325i, 325xi, 328i, 328xi, 330i, 330xi, 335i, 335xi and M3 from the 2006-2011 model years. Also covered are the 2007-2011 328i xDrive, 335i xDrive and 335is, and the 2009-2011 335d.

Wiring for the heating and air conditioning system can overheat and cause connectors to melt, also increasing the fire risk, even when vehicles are unattended. Four drivers reported injuries.

Dealers will replace the wiring and connectors. Both recalls begin Dec. 18.

Looks like this recall was a little late for my 2011 X3 3.0D.  Anyone get held up heading south of Manukau on SH1/Waikato Expressway yesterday around 9am? That was my smouldering wreck parked up on the left. Heading away on a golf weekend Friday morning, just me and golf clubs on board, had crested Bombay Hills when the engine stuttered a couple of times, then lost power. Msg on display said "transmission in neutral" which struck me as odd so pulled off inside lane to a flush painted median where there is an on ramp. Bit of smoke drifting out from passenger side of bonnet. 08:30 Rang 111 as I didn't like where I had to stop immediately beside highway. 10 mins on the phone trying to explain where I was. More smoke, so evacuated cabin and began unloading the golf gear from rear cargo space. Flames and dripping burning melt from front LHS of engine bay by 08:45. A couple of guys with small aerosol extinguishers had a go but not effective. 08:55 fire service finally arrive after attending the wrong vehicle further north. My X3 fully alight and took FS another 15 mins to get control.

So how does a well-maintained, fully-serviced, mechanical warrantied, lightly-loaded, sedately-driven BMW do this? Felt lucky it was diesel so no major explosions, just tyres and air bag adding some pop to the pyrotechnics. No-one damaged, just a burnt hole in the road, delayed motorists,and cancelled golf trip.

X3 fire 1.jpg

fire 7.jpg

post fire 3.jpg

post fire4.jpg

• Confused 2
  • Sad 6

Wow.

At least you saved your clubs.

Sucks. Im sure you could trace the problem back to cost cutting somewhere.

BMw doesn't seem to be doing this recall outside of the US. Same with the 335i driveshaft part. We're only getting the airbag recall. 

Guess they're only scared of Americans suing them. 

Have a look at the list of models affected in U.S., no Diesels in that list. 

Whole host of reasons why you could end up with an under-bonnet Fire. Linking it the U.S. Recall is a big assumption.

Sucks about your car man, hope the insurance pay out what it's worth and the process is painless.

• Like 1

MMM a nasty situation to find ones self in for sure. On the positive side no one or items where affected other than the car. It still leaves a number of the big questions Why springs to mind straight away. Your info on having to spend 10 minutes telling them your location is a bit on the noises. As when a 111 call  is made on a land line that connection is locked and can be tracked. No doubt with the tech these days it can be done with a cellphone to . Hope you get a good out come and that round of golf to.

16 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Have a look at the list of models affected in U.S., no Diesels in that list. 

Whole host of reasons why you could end up with an under-bonnet Fire. Linking it the U.S. Recall is a big assumption.

Sucks about your car man, hope the insurance pay out what it's worth and the process is painless.

Also covered are the 2007-2011 328i xDrive, 335i xDrive and 335is, and the 2009-2011 335d.

What does d stand for again?

Although it’s possibly still a bit of a stretch to link them.

1 hour ago, allan said:

...As when a 111 call  is made on a land line that connection is locked and can be tracked. No doubt with the tech these days it can be done with a cellphone to...

You'd be surprised! I worked on this very thing when I was living in Europe (emergency call location for cell phones) and that was before GPS was in every phone. It's really technically challenging because you have to be very certain in which direction you send that ambulance or fire truck. Apartment blocks are really nasty because you can't get accurate elevation data, even if you can triangulate via cell tower.

In NZ for some time now, any non-iPhone with GPS allows for pretty accurate location determination if you use the Emergency Call function, it's not a given if you just dial 111 manually.

Until very recently iPhones couldn't do this (because for some reason Apple thinks they're special). However this capability is now available and I believe Vodafone, Spark and Vocus have all rolled it out. Again, requires the use of the Emergency Call function (the one that can be used without a SIM).

Edited by M3AN

Bummer.  Glad you're unharmed.