Sign in to follow this  
necsis

E39 540I Differential cluck/metallic sound...

Hi Guys,

Have a 2002 BMW e39 540I Motorsport sitting at 249,000kms. Automatic transmission.

The last 10,000kms it start making a clunking noise when going from Reverse - Drive.
Then it started making the clucking noise when accelerating slowly around a car park. I have jacked it up and checked the Flex disc - all ok. Drive shaft hanger bearing seems fine. Have replacement parts ready to install soon anyway.
Car is driving well, transmission performing well, no whining or any vibrations at any speed. No problems at all when cruising - just the initial gear select and drive slowly in a car park

I got my farther to move the rear wheel back and forth by hand whilst holding the driveshaft, I did the same with the driveshaft whilst he held the wheel - a lot of movement in the driveshaft/pinion before it engages the axles....

My farther has same car, 2000 BMW e39 540I Motorsport. His car driving perfect, no noises/clunking etc.
We jacked his car up and performed the same diagnosis to compare to mine.- next to no movement/play before the axles engage....

I have searched google/youtube high and low for the same symptoms, not much around.

Has anyone had the same issue? Backlash issue somehow? Do i replace the diff or fix my current unit?

Looking forward to any info on the subject :)

check the hanger beariing and hanger

27 minutes ago, BM WORLD said:

check the hanger beariing and hanger

I have dropped the exhaust and the shields. Checked and all ok.

The play in the diff is resonating the sound through the hollow driveshaft.

Talk to Kayne Barrie

• Like 1