Sign in to follow this  
robertw

E36 new seat belt

Hi guys,

A follow on from the Airbag fail, To get certified as a non airbag car the requirement is to fit a new seatbelt, anyone know of a good supplier

of seatbelts non race setup and not too outrageously expensive.

Cheers

Robert.,

Just buy Andrew's steering wheel dude, it's worth the punt for $60.

A cert will cost you at least $400 + the replacement steering wheel.

You can also use a different self-contained steering wheel (airbag control unit is in the wheel itself) and fit that with a suitable clock spring.

But ultimately, as AJ says, if you want to do it cheap just get a non-airbag wheel off a wreck and fit that, nobody will know the difference except you.

I have already bought a Momo steering wheel for $60, Andrew's may fry it's self in 6 months and I am back to were I am now,

And I want to do it legally the WOF places around here know the car so just swapping the wheel won't float. 

3 hours ago, robertw said:

I have already bought a Momo steering wheel for $60, Andrew's may fry it's self in 6 months and I am back to were I am now,

And I want to do it legally the WOF places around here know the car so just swapping the wheel won't float. 

Well, I'm not convinced you're in a better place than you were. You'll need to call a vehicle certifier and find out what else is required (if anything). There's no "new seat belt" you can get that will be different to your current one other than a race harness. And if you need to get a race harness to get a cert then that's hardly ideal for daily use.

Keep in mind most cars on our roads were never fitted with an airbag in the first place. A cert is really a great length and expense to go to to solve the problem you have. As I said, it will cost you at least $400.

On 11/9/2017 at 7:00 PM, M3AN said:

Well, I'm not convinced you're in a better place than you were. You'll need to call a vehicle certifier and find out what else is required (if anything). There's no "new seat belt" you can get that will be different to your current one other than a race harness. And if you need to get a race harness to get a cert then that's hardly ideal for daily use.

Keep in mind most cars on our roads were never fitted with an airbag in the first place. A cert is really a great length and expense to go to to solve the problem you have. As I said, it will cost you at least $400.

I have talked to the certifier in Taupo and got what I need to do, Changing the seat belt makes sense it's 27 years old, their way of thinking is

you are removing one safety feature and upgrading another one I'm good with that the old seat belt is getting slow ,

If a new BMW steering wheel was available it would cost more than the car is worth, the control module is unavailable as a new part 

second hand ones are as old as mine it's not worth it, Besides there is a pile of new sports wheels I can buy,

The Regulations say that if a car comes fitted with an airbag it has to have one to get a WOF no grey area,

Later year E36's are easier to get replacement steering wheels the one in mine was only installed for a short time,

I have found all the bits I need should be sorted by next weekend all going well.  

Do let us know what you end up doing and how you get on.

Good luck.

I can see the issue with the more complex airbag systems. I noted in another post the requirements to delete these.

This however, is an all in one incorporated steering wheel system (no external warning light), & no other external parts like belt pre tensioners.

I am all for legality but in your case it is a simple - replace the wheel, & no one is any the wiser. It is simply back to the spec of an E36 non airbag specced car.

The later more complex systems are a different story