Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lidistick

Time for another BMW

8 posts in this topic

Hi. 

I’m in the market for a 535i M-Sport. I’ve tried to find a touring but they are not in my price range of $30K. 

The f10 has a reputation for being a bit numb in comparison to the E39 - which I would buy in a heartbeat again - but they are getting on in age and mint examples are hard to find. 

So my reading is that the N55 engine is better compared to the N54 in terms of reliability. Another other issues to worry about? 

Thanks! 

I'm looking too - 3 series though. Not a manual to be seen and dct doesn't appear to be an option either...

Have seen a couple of posts from Glenn re N code engines which are a little off putting also.

Edited by MD13

7 hours ago, lidistick said:

Hi. 

I’m in the market for a 535i M-Sport. I’ve tried to find a touring but they are not in my price range of $30K. 

The f10 has a reputation for being a bit numb in comparison to the E39 - which I would buy in a heartbeat again - but they are getting on in age and mint examples are hard to find. 

So my reading is that the N55 engine is better compared to the N54 in terms of reliability. Another other issues to worry about? 

Thanks! 

I would love to help you out but I couldn't let mine go for that. It is 2012 mint with 12k on the clock. My wife has trouble understanding the whole depreciation thing and I think she would rather hang on to it as we will never have the opportunity to own another brand new car. As for the numbness, I have fitted a Racechip Ultimate and with +77HP any sign of numbness is long gone. I cannot fault the 535i N55, good luck. 

1 person likes this

If you want something more reliable, the 528i is not a bad choice. Non turbo engine. Its basically the new E39 530i equivalent.

3 hours ago, Haitoman said:

I would love to help you out but I couldn't let mine go for that. It is 2012 mint with 12k on the clock. My wife has trouble understanding the whole depreciation thing and I think she would rather hang on to it as we will never have the opportunity to own another brand new car. As for the numbness, I have fitted a Racechip Ultimate and with +77HP any sign of numbness is long gone. I cannot fault the 535i N55, good luck. 

racechip? sounds interesting  

20 hours ago, lidistick said:

racechip? sounds interesting  

Yeh..If you check out their website they have rebadged their Ultimate as Racechip GTS (+77HP).

1 person likes this

So I drove a 535i. I need to recalibrate my brain. The n55 is seriously quick; quick enough for me. Was tempted to try the 550i but I’ve heard about the turbo v8 and it’s lack of reliability. 

I also saw a 335i Active Hybrid in M-Sport. Looks cool. Certainly nicer than a E90. Very few F30 335i available - that must be a real rocket. 

Sorry - posted in wrong thread... 

Edited by NZ BMW