Sign in to follow this  
lidistick

Time for another BMW

Hi. 

I’m in the market for a 535i M-Sport. I’ve tried to find a touring but they are not in my price range of $30K. 

The f10 has a reputation for being a bit numb in comparison to the E39 - which I would buy in a heartbeat again - but they are getting on in age and mint examples are hard to find. 

So my reading is that the N55 engine is better compared to the N54 in terms of reliability. Another other issues to worry about? 

Thanks! 

I'm looking too - 3 series though. Not a manual to be seen and dct doesn't appear to be an option either...

Have seen a couple of posts from Glenn re N code engines which are a little off putting also.

Edited by MD13

7 hours ago, lidistick said:

Hi. 

I’m in the market for a 535i M-Sport. I’ve tried to find a touring but they are not in my price range of $30K. 

The f10 has a reputation for being a bit numb in comparison to the E39 - which I would buy in a heartbeat again - but they are getting on in age and mint examples are hard to find. 

So my reading is that the N55 engine is better compared to the N54 in terms of reliability. Another other issues to worry about? 

Thanks! 

I would love to help you out but I couldn't let mine go for that. It is 2012 mint with 12k on the clock. My wife has trouble understanding the whole depreciation thing and I think she would rather hang on to it as we will never have the opportunity to own another brand new car. As for the numbness, I have fitted a Racechip Ultimate and with +77HP any sign of numbness is long gone. I cannot fault the 535i N55, good luck. 

• Like 1

If you want something more reliable, the 528i is not a bad choice. Non turbo engine. Its basically the new E39 530i equivalent.

3 hours ago, Haitoman said:

I would love to help you out but I couldn't let mine go for that. It is 2012 mint with 12k on the clock. My wife has trouble understanding the whole depreciation thing and I think she would rather hang on to it as we will never have the opportunity to own another brand new car. As for the numbness, I have fitted a Racechip Ultimate and with +77HP any sign of numbness is long gone. I cannot fault the 535i N55, good luck. 

racechip? sounds interesting  

20 hours ago, lidistick said:

racechip? sounds interesting  

Yeh..If you check out their website they have rebadged their Ultimate as Racechip GTS (+77HP).

• Like 1

So I drove a 535i. I need to recalibrate my brain. The n55 is seriously quick; quick enough for me. Was tempted to try the 550i but I’ve heard about the turbo v8 and it’s lack of reliability. 

I also saw a 335i Active Hybrid in M-Sport. Looks cool. Certainly nicer than a E90. Very few F30 335i available - that must be a real rocket. 

Sorry - posted in wrong thread... 

Edited by NZ BMW

So I pulled the trigger. 

Artic white Msport 535i with black leather  

Adaptive M sport suspension

Panoramic sunroof 

Active steering etc 

love it ?

5D2E986D-0561-459E-8A73-48C81CEC1FEE.jpeg

A120E008-DABF-4F45-8808-425EF5917854.jpeg

• Like 7

Nice, you'll love the n55.  Good choice with the dealer too. Those guys bring in quality cars

Dealer is top class. Good honest guy. He does pick his cars. Full BMW service history! First for any car I’ve bought 2nd hand. 

Good to hear a recommendation on the dealer from a couple of people!

That car looks great, guy in my office has one in silver - they are a seriously nice bit of kit.

It’s a great cruiser and fits most of our gear. I find normal comfort mode slightly lethargic at times but going into sport mode does bring out a different personality. 

The 8 speed is sweet. Hardly caught in the wrong gear but if it does - it’s sorted pretty smartly on its own. Very overdriven in 7th and 8th gear. 

Steering is numb compared to E39. But all the new cars have that issue. It’s direct and I can live with it. I think the air suspension in the rear is much better than the E39 touring. Despite being a motorsport - it is compliant and feels sporty enough for me. No issues with pitching and rolling. I mean it’s a wagon but it corners a sh*t load better than an SUV. 

I think it needs a carbon clean first. I wonder if some of the lethargy in comfort mode is due to carbon buildup. It feels bloody sprightly in sports so I haven’t bothered too much about it. 

The most annoying issue is the washer fluid warning light. And effing stone chips!!!!