Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shizam

Diesel programming

5 posts in this topic

Hey.

Anybody know who is good for diesel remapping? I don't want to map the car yet but I want to program out the EGR system.

From what I understand, you need to adjust a few things....not just delete the CEL that comes up. ECU adjusts injection timing when it thinks EGR is active etc.

I would like to do this properly if I can find a good shop.

Any suggestions?

Yes I can help. Will message you 

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:08 AM, shizam said:

Anybody know who is good for diesel remapping? I don't want to map the car yet but I want to program out the EGR system.

As much as I am not a big fan of and EGR system on a diesel engine, a system designed to improve test results in a laboratory but utterly crap in real-life application, I am even less of a fan of diesel remapping. Yes, it is very simple to get more power and even better fuel efficiency out of a diesel engine from a simple re-writing of the chip, the reason that the manufacturers didn't do that in the first place (you'd think they would if it was that simple right...) was to meet the emissions regulations.

The whole injection cycle is carefully set to minimise a number of harmful emissions, not just the headline CO2 which everyone seems hung up on. EGR was originally developed to reduce Hydro-carbon (HC) emissions by recirculating un-burnt fuel, and had the side-effect of helping control the flame front and keep oxides of nitrogen (NOx) emissions down. Removing an EGR system completely and remapping will result in both of these emissions going off the chart. Technically removal of any emissions control system in NZ should cause the vehicle to fail a Warrant of Fitness test, now currently it is most likely you would get picked up on the fact that your car has no EGR and a re-map, but the planned future changes to emissions testing would probably make that evident.

Agree with Jon on most of this, the EGR valve is designed to be part of the fuel  supply / combustion control and modern ones work well, but they like any other moving part do need to be maintained / replaced, the earlier systems  were crap current ones are effective. There are lots of myths out there about the issues with them and they mainly relate to older style systems. 

In regard to the re-mapping of diesels this can be beneficial BMW  have demonstarted this , the N57 properly remapped drops emissions and fuel consumption by 11-15% and produces a similar improvement in torque. 

the egr valve itself is pretty foolproof ,one of the probems is that the intake manifold can become cloogged with oily soot like deposits.I beleive this will be more likely with short run vehicles