Sign in to follow this  
Olaf

German Number Plates - changeover

Greetings fellow Bimmersporters.

I couldn't find the last discussion thread via the search bicycle, apologies for starting a new one.

My e60 was acquired sporting a set of German number plates, and very nice they are too.  An eagle-eyed member of the constabulary pulled me over in October, and enquired as to why.  Car had just received a new WoF, and "officer it was what the car came with; how do I obtain replacements?".  Treated with courtesy and respect, the officer kindly waived the $150 fine, and I promised to obtain replacements.

With valuable guidance from @eliongator, I've obtained replacement plates.  

I now need to fit them.

It appears the German plates may have been afixed with double-sided tape.  

QUESTION:  Are there standard kits (cap screws, with white and black concealment caps) available for fixing plates to our vehicles - particularly the e60?  Where do I get them - from the dealership?

Any hints on how to sort this out?  I figure this is a straightforward item to address - as long as I have the right kit.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance

Olaf

A quick call to Winger BMW and they'll be able to provide what I need.  Easy.

I know its been discussed a million times but dont see what the big deal is with german plates. It is still reflective, still clear to read and a good alternative to paying megabucks to "kiwiplates" and their monopoly over this whole thing.

The police should stick to preventing crime and actual police duties instead of taking the quick revenue seeking, door to door salesman approach. Sure, pull over anyone being suspicious or with offensive plates and penalize them if it does not match what the car is supposed to have but as long as you are making the correct combination that matches your rego sticker, surely its not an issue.

• Like 1

I agree with what you say, in principle, Kyu.  Still, the law is the law, my D plates don't meet the NZ standardard, and are defective.  I'm making amends.  Rather that, than a fine.

Funniest thing was, I wasn't speeding, wasn't hooning, and the talking to I got from my 14 year old son (sat in the passenger seat) afterwards, made my pleasant discourse with the Officer seem mild!

I used the NZ fern logo ones for many years without issue here in the Waikato (was pulled over many times during the period too).

Most of the people that reported getting them getting confiscated were from the bigger cities like Auckland iirc. My theory is police were targeting these places due to more euro cars around\more people using the plates. 

it's great to have a theory... I live in a small village (Wellington) and never had any trouble.  I was passing through a town so small on the south island, it barely rated above 'intersection' status, and I was pulled.   A good cop who knew his rules and wasn't sleeping on the job.  I don't feel aggrieved, and enjoyed our discussion.  

You have an interaction with "the law" and come away feeling positive; they've done their job well; regardless of the law they were observing/enforcing.  Contrast that with (say) calling Sky Television?  When did you last have a positive interaction with them?

Sounds like a slow day

I don't even own a TV and would never get sky so wouldn't know tbh