Sign in to follow this  
BradMosen

Euro Plates

My new E36 just has standard New Zealand plates on it but I'm wanting to get some euro plates for it. I was wondering if anyone could help me get an idea of the best place to get it done. I don't want to change the numbers/letters on the number plate, I just want the Euro plate with the same text.

yep, $150 to $200 fine ($1000 if you're a company) if you get pulled over with them as non-compliant.  It's the luck of the draw - based on anecdotal evidence from many contributors here and their related experience of being stopped, fined, or warned.

the safest and least expensive way to put euro plates on your wagon is to watch personalised plates on sale on trademe, pick a pair up for $150-200.

HTH

• Like 1

you can "upgrade" your govt issue or whatever plates to the "euro plate" style for $199 on kiwiplates.nz and then get it manufactured which is $51.82.

• Like 1

Or keep your old plates and get the number plate surrounds that fit the standard plate but are Euro style in size etc about $20.

number_plate_surround.png

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, qube said:

you can "upgrade" your govt issue or whatever plates to the "euro plate" style for $199 on kiwiplates.nz and then get it manufactured which is $51.82.

and what about those new 'mini' plates, very classy on the front of your Maserati or what have you.  Are they pricey?

1 hour ago, qube said:

@qube are you saying there's another way around paying the $369 to 'redesign' your government issue plate as set out on their website?

Edited by JohnM575

4 minutes ago, JohnM575 said:

@qube are you saying there's another way around paying the $369 to 'redesign' your government issue plate as set out on their website?

Seems you are right.

$369 for govt issue to euro or

$569 to BMW/branded plates.

I was checking an already personalised plate combination in standard style upgrade to euro plate which is $199 or to BMW/branded is $399.

56 minutes ago, Olaf said:

and what about those new 'mini' plates, very classy on the front of your Maserati or what have you.  Are they pricey?

Same price as euro style

Just now, qube said:

Seems you are right.

$369 for govt issue to euro or

$569 to BMW/branded plates.

I was checking an already personalised plate combination in standard style upgrade to euro plate which is $199 or to BMW/branded is $399.

Thought that was the case. Got my hopes up for a second!

Whatever the case, its crazy if you ask me. And personally I think the Kiwiplates new fern/nz star design looks ugly compared to the old ones from plates.co.nz

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allan said:

Or keep your old plates and get the number plate surrounds that fit the standard plate but are Euro style in size etc about $20.

number_plate_surround.png

+1 On this . Cheap & does the job. 

• Like 1

I own one of the best BMW plates BMW LTD.... can't be duplicated or changed in any formatt

• Like 1

I'm all sorted.  I went in to Winger BMW to buy bolt kit and any parts I needed.  They checked it out, then they removed my old plates, drilled and fixed the new plates to the car and fitted number plate frames and caps to the screws.  While I waited.  Complementary.  Went well beyond my expectations, great service!  

So now I'm legal, I just need to return my old plates (or face a fine).

• Like 1

What would make me happy is if kiwiplates let you design your own side panels for their Euro plates. I'd happily pay $369 to get euro plates with my own graphics in the side panels. I just don't like their standard options...

u can just pay $369 for any "euro" plate and go to a sign shop and get a custom sticker printed and apply it on top. Heaps of people have done it and there is nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2017 at 8:12 PM, qube said:

u can just pay $369 for any "euro" plate and go to a sign shop and get a custom sticker printed and apply it on top. Heaps of people have done it and there is nothing wrong with that.

technically that is illegal

• Like 1

On 11/16/2017 at 8:00 PM, Olaf said:

PS:  if you're looking to get replacement plates:

https://www.licensys.com/general_purpose.php 

So plates actually cost less than $23.15.

And the plate monopoly in NZ charges hundreds and hundreds, up to a thousand dollars. I wonder how much tax and margin we're actually paying on these things?

• Like 1

On 12/4/2017 at 8:06 PM, M3AN said:

So plates actually cost less than $23.15.

And the plate monopoly in NZ charges hundreds and hundreds, up to a thousand dollars. I wonder how much tax and margin we're actually paying on these things?

while those here that know me off bimmersport whille know i hate monopolies, always caused by government intervention, there are actually times when monopolies are for the best. There is a lot more to it that what you say. the admin costs would be infinately higher if there were 3 or four companies all doing it. There is stilla bricks and morter office, and graphic designers dont come cheap. Its very easy to identify the costs we know, but there are doubtless ones we dont.

And unlike selling apples or televisions, every sale you make is dimminishing supply, they cant sell the same plate twice.

While i do think they charge a lot, they amount of plates on the road (and indeed my driveway) will say that for many people they are worth the price.

• Like 1

There's not much more admin to issue new plates than to issue replacement plates, even if it were 100% more effort we're still in the region of $30, not hundreds.

We live in a capitalist world, I support companies making a profit but in this case it seems like somebody is profiteering - either through margins or tax/duty (or a combination of the lot). I'd simply like to understand that breakdown.

Also plates aren't a scarce resource, they can add characters and increase the pool so it vastly outstrips demand.

Got around to buying a pair of Germanplates for one of my Rovers the other week. $130 shipped for a pair with frames. Will never be able to justify the $370 for "legit" euro plates. Sure, the font isnt the same, but ill take the risk.

jEro8LK.jpg

• Like 3

Ahh nice looking SD1. Have never owned one but always had a soft spot for. V8 version only though...

• Like 1