Sign in to follow this  
BradMosen

Euro Plates

2 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Two SD1's... hey @KwS, how do you clean up all the oil off your driveway??? PS that blue one looks quite pretty :)

The same way i did when i had a BMW, lots of degreaser :P

• Like 3

What's the difference with the front valance's - is the black one a Vitesse?

Black one is a Vitesse with the later deep front spoiler. The other one is a Vanden Plas EFI with the standard Series 2 spoiler.

Mmmm hence why you have two:)

On 12/12/2017 at 0:15 PM, M3AN said:

There's not much more admin to issue new plates than to issue replacement plates, even if it were 100% more effort we're still in the region of $30, not hundreds.

We live in a capitalist world, I support companies making a profit but in this case it seems like somebody is profiteering - either through margins or tax/duty (or a combination of the lot). I'd simply like to understand that breakdown.

Also plates aren't a scarce resource, they can add characters and increase the pool so it vastly outstrips demand.

Q. the plate on your E36 M3.. was this ordered from https://www.customeuropeanplates.com ? If so is this legal?

The other website is https://www.germanplates.com/

The one dave has on his car is from one of these sites and they are technically not legal. However I know he hasnt had any issues with it in many many years.

Some people get lucky and some people get caught within weeks.

50 minutes ago, qube said:

The other website is https://www.germanplates.com/

The one dave has on his car is from one of these sites and they are technically not legal. However I know he hasnt had any issues with it in many many years.

Some people get lucky and some people get caught within weeks.

Weird, I don't understand how these are technically not legal.. it's black letters on a reflective plate after all, I figured the legal requirement would simply be 'needs to be clearly visible', is it somewhat FONT related? because that's the only thing that looks 'non NZ standard', as for the choice in pictures on either side I imagine this doesn't have any legal barriers, given that you can have a car make emblems on one side and a flag on the other etc.

It has been discussed plenty times in the past in this forum.

1. Different font

2. Reflective round silver fern emblems on the white background missing

Causes issues with speed cameras being able to register the plate.

Whatever the case is the German plates are novelty plates and not legal for road use in NZ.

The stickers I personally don't think is an issue but technically it's not govt issued either if you decide to custom it yourself so maybe it's a bit in the grey area.

Use at your own risk of $200 fine.

Yes, I got mine from germanplates.com (on multiple occasions actually - I have 6 or 8 of them).

NZ law states that plates must be manufactured by a government approved supplier (of which there is only one) therefore any other plate (including stickers some people use) are technically illegal (but just try fitting a standard front plate to a LaFerrari or countless other cars). It doesn't matter what features or dis/similarities any non-offical plate has.

I've never disputed their (il)legality but I've also never had a problem with them. I've been using them since 2002.

My brother used the car occasionally when I was living in Europe and got pinged twice. Go figure.

The probably I have with the current system is that the retail price for personalised plates in NZ is propped up by an artificial monopoly created to fill government coffers - it's a vanity tax which is BS.

Edited by M3AN