Sign in to follow this  
Crossbow

Manual trans and flywheel G220/g240/g260

After a manual transmission and flywheel. Dont need any other conversion parts. To suit m5x application. So g260 would have to be m20 pattern.

The closer to Hamilton the better.

There are also ZF (don’t know the model off the top of my head, but it’s the most commonly available one) gearboxes that’ll bolt up to an m5x. Getrag 260 (m20) and 240 (m20) kinda bolt up (I think 1 or 2 bolts don’t line up), but are tilted 10*, so I’d avoid them. An M30 getrag 260 or an M10 getrag 240 wont bolt up at all.

There is also a getrag 250 that will work. (From early m50 e34s I believe)

An m20 flywheel can be made to work on an m5x, just check the clearance of the engine facing side (might need a machine) and the starter gear.

Are you after a single mass or dual mass flywheel?

TLDR: you want a getrag 220, 240 (m40) or a 250 (and technically a 420g as well) or a ZF from an e36.

Yeah I realise that the zf will work but typically they are pricey and I'd rather not change diff ratio so overdrive from a getrag would be great. Basically after something sooner rather than later as my auto is crap/want a manual and I just want to drive my bm. I realise that the 260 will be tilted, bit I can work with that as at least it has 2 mounting tabs the g245 I was looking at only had one and I think you answered my previous thread about it, only advantage to buying that was it came with a factory lightweight m20 which doesn't require machining.. As far as single vs dual, at this stage I'm not fussed, as long as the DM is in working condition. I'll upgrade to lightweight sm further down the track.

Saw all of those, was aiming for someone on here who might be hiding one in their garage.  The first one, seems ideal apart from the fact that its in New Plymouth and having all the conversion parts which I don't really need. The second one would be sweet but it has no flywheel. Third is a good price, but sounds like its on the way out and although I prefer affordable, I would rather not spend a few hundred buck to spend another 500 in the close future. The other stuff is all 1k plus price range and also contains all the conversion parts I don't need. I know I am being picky considering I want something soon but I guess I am in two minds about buying stuff which will likely have to be replaced.

Edited by Crossbow