MD13

HellBM's monster

35 posts in this topic

M3

Didn't think I'd see this so soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much did it sell for originally?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interestingly, theres been quite a lot of negative facebook commentary about the price the current owner is asking. 

I think people forget it takes killing / using a damaged M3 to make one of these, So automatically it's at least 25k worth going by regular M3 coupe prices.

A decent E46 late model touring is generally close to 10k worth, rougher ones are cheaper of course. 

Then you have the time to sort the M3 body panels and paint them, that looked to be very well done and would have cost a fair bit of coin if you were to try replicate it.

Electrics, coding, and fine tuning of everything transferred over to the touring chassis isn't a 5 minute job, especially to get everything working like it's a factory car. 

Other stuff like the physical work changing parts, subframe work, exhaust work, all the suspension installed, certification too. 

You need to have experience with BMWs to do such a build properly, not many people in the country could pull it off.

It's up to the owner to find the price they want anyway, given the above I think he'd get close to the asking price with the right buyer that sees it for what it is. 

Edited by Michael.
7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Michael. Care to share what page the commentary about the ad is on?

Has certification been confirmed with all the mods including those post-Ray's ownership? Depends when the most recent cert was issued I guess. Could be costly if the cert isn't inclusive of all those mods listed on the ad.

It will be interesting to see how quickly this gets snaffled up; given the uniqueness I wouldn't be surprised about there being offshore interest.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For sure it's effectively a custom car and therefore price can't be compared to a normal M3, that's not reasonable.

Edit: seen the cert, it's good. 

 

Edited by M3AN
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnM575 said:

@Michael. Care to share what page the commentary about the ad is on?

Has certification been confirmed with all the mods including those post-Ray's ownership? Depends when the most recent cert was issued I guess. Could be costly if the cert isn't inclusive of all those mods listed on the ad.

It will be interesting to see how quickly this gets snaffled up; given the uniqueness I wouldn't be surprised about there being offshore interest.

 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nzeurocarclub/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cert is good, seller seems genuine.

 

Edited by M3AN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The seller is a good friend of mine.

It's a hell of a car, super pedantic owner, he is super fussy with everything that is fitted/maintained etc.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good ole Facebook, where all the keyboard warriors come out to throw shade at something they could never buy... 

it’s a cool car. If it’s over priced the seller will have to meet the market. In the meantime, I’m just happy to see the pictures and be happy for whomever will buy it!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the end the market will dictate, if someone pays that price then its worth it. As always we buy on emotion and justify with logic.

Edited by Herbmiester
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, who really knows what it's worth but I wouldn't list it for $1 reserve. At least now they can gauge interest and accept offers if they want. 

For a unique car you'd be silly to start much lower I reckon. Imagine how much it would actually cost to build. :o

But in the end I think it will go for less. Especially if it needs to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I much prefer that E36 take on this that sold recently. At the very least it should have been a manual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah e36 tourings are ugly :-) Ray's monster is awesome!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, MD13 said:

Nah e36 tourings are ugly :-) Ray's monster is awesome!

Only good E36 is the Coupe or Vert in M3 or M sport spec. 4 doors and wagons are pretty iffy. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Michael. said:

Only good E36 is the Coupe or Vert in M3 or M sport spec. 4 doors and wagons are pretty iffy. 

dream on pal...id keep my sedan over a convertible especially any day....coming from a toyota is a cheap shot.

Edited by Rob HB1
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/11/2017 at 9:17 PM, Blackie said:

I much prefer that E36 take on this that sold recently. At the very least it should have been a manual.

I'm not an SMG fan but I think it's the right choice for this car. Let's be honest, you're not buying this as a track-rat but rather something that has amazing utility and a scary bite. I think SMG with the right tune will give you the best of all worlds in this, you can load it up, it'll scare most other cars yet anyone can jump in and drive it. That's pretty ace.

Pity I'm not wealthy enough.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blackie said:

None of my cars are track rats just I hate autos

It’s closer to a manual than an auto. Infact the SMG gearbox is basically the same as the manual, it just has a computer that shifts it for you. As opposed to having a torque converter and the constant smoothness/vagueness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know how it works, and I get what you're saying but the manual shifting bit is what makes a manual a manual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree, SMG is no manual.  I think all SMG equipped cars would be better as a manual.

DCT/8 Speed auto is another story.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Rob HB1 said:

dream on pal...id keep my sedan over a convertible especially any day....coming from a toyota is a cheap shot.

Eh don't get in twist because you cheaped out and got the iffy 4 door M3 :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Agree, SMG is no manual.  I think all SMG equipped cars would be better as a manual.

DCT/8 Speed auto is another story.

 

DCT is far more 'auto' than SMG. A 'CSL' tuned SMG is way more visceral than DCT. There is a reason Lambo kept the E-gear around for so long. 

I was once like you 'manual or die' - don't fall for the forum hype. 

(As mentioned, Hell built it as manual and converted at customer request).

 

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yea i quite like the smg now

have always owned and driven manuls

converted many cars to manual

driven a few dct's etc

but i favorite one now is my m3 smg with the csl flash ,

have both m3 models at the moment manual and smg and the smg is my pick to drive ,

you just need to learn it a bit etc

 

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2017 at 0:12 PM, Michael. said:

Interestingly, theres been quite a lot of negative facebook commentary about the price the current owner is asking. 

I think people forget it takes killing / using a damaged M3 to make one of these, So automatically it's at least 25k worth going by regular M3 coupe prices.

A decent E46 late model touring is generally close to 10k worth, rougher ones are cheaper of course. 

Then you have the time to sort the M3 body panels and paint them, that looked to be very well done and would have cost a fair bit of coin if you were to try replicate it.

Electrics, coding, and fine tuning of everything transferred over to the touring chassis isn't a 5 minute job, especially to get everything working like it's a factory car. 

Other stuff like the physical work changing parts, subframe work, exhaust work, all the suspension installed, certification too. 

You need to have experience with BMWs to do such a build properly, not many people in the country could pull it off.

It's up to the owner to find the price they want anyway, given the above I think he'd get close to the asking price with the right buyer that sees it for what it is. 

Im one of the people that have commented on the FB thread. I saw the car at OCD when I was last in Auckland back in August and was disappointed in some of the panel gaps and paint (front drivers corner), thought I could see that its a well loved car.

As for your prices, this car has essentially been put together with 2 written off cars so your figures are incorrect. Say less than 2K for a damaged Touring and 15K for a written off M3? Yes there is a lot of time thats gone into this build, but if you have the donor M3 it helps a lot (like any conversion).

 

Question? Whats a E46 318CI worth thats been converted into an M3 by using a written off M3 as a donor?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now