Sign in to follow this  
MD13

HellBM's monster

I got to watch this project from the first "are you mad!" idea to completion and with the exception of a small number of people I'd be surprised if anyone has the first clue at what went into building it... that said, It's worth exactly what someone is willing to spend, end of story... It's always interesting to see "experts" come out of the woodwork but take it from someone who's driven it a lot... It's one hell of a car!

Edited by Red Dwarf
  • Like 7

Hurray, positive comments ^^^

At least the car exists, who cares if its not perfect, Ray & co built it and if they didn't NZ would have such a creation. 

I know if I saw it drive down the road I'd smile and not feel the need to poke fun that a panel may require a $300 respray & panel adjustment on one fender.

Edited by Michael.
  • Like 3

As I said earlier, you can't start at $1 so where else do you start?

I agree that it will be difficult to reach the target price but I also think you'd be doing yourself a disservice to list it at 20-25k. Why not put it out there as the seller has and see what happens? It doesn't need to be perfect to gauge market interest and if it doesn't sell you can try again.

I'm one of the first to bag silly auctions but I don't think this one is silly. Unrealistic? Perhaps. But it's not insulting anyone and I've communicated with the seller and he seems 100% up-front and genuine. I'm pretty confident he'd negotiate with anybody that was genuinely interested.

Provenance is an entirely different topic. All I know about the build is what I read here and it seems epic and much, much, much more effort than you can see on face value. But it's ultimately a chop and I have no idea whether it's all new bolts and bushes, all torqued to factory or not so can't comment on that (other than to say the only way to do it properly is to do it properly)**.

If somebody asked me (and they haven't) I'd hazard $30k, or perhaps $35k to somebody in an aligned trade that could use it for marketing. $22k for the M3 bits and $8k for the uniqueness. Assuming subframe, VANOS and rod bearings have all been done. I could be miles off also but you'll never recover the labour involved (and if HellBM did then they should be laughing all the way to the bank).

I seriously hope the right people meet up to do the right deal on this one, it's pretty damn cool. I want it badly.

** Somebody I know purchased a chopped E36 hybrid thing from somebody who should know better and found it had basically been put together with whatever was lying around. Standard bolts where HT bolts should be, used bushings, missing washers, poor torque values etc.  :(

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, M3AN said:

As I said earlier, you can't start at $1 so where else do you start?

I agree that it will be difficult to reach the target price but I also think you'd be doing yourself a disservice to list it at 20-25k. Why not put it out there as the seller has and see what happens? It doesn't need to be perfect to gauge market interest and if it doesn't sell you can try again.

I'm one of the first to bag silly auctions but I don't think this one is silly. Unrealistic? Perhaps. But it's not insulting anyone and I've communicated with the seller and he seems 100% up-front and genuine. I'm pretty confident he'd negotiate with anybody that was genuinely interested.

Provenance is an entirely different topic. All I know about the build is what I read here and it seems epic and much, much, much more effort than you can see on face value. But it's ultimately a chop and I have no idea whether it's all new bolts and bushes, all torqued to factory or not so can't comment on that (other than to say the only way to do it properly is to do it properly)**.

If somebody asked me (and they haven't) I'd hazard $30k, or perhaps $35k to somebody in an aligned trade that could use it for marketing. $22k for the M3 bits and $8k for the uniqueness. Assuming subframe, VANOS and rod bearings have all been done. I could be miles off also but you'll never recover the labour involved (and if HellBM did then they should be laughing all the way to the bank).

I seriously hope the right people meet up to do the right deal on this one, it's pretty damn cool. I want it badly.

** Somebody I know purchased a chopped E36 hybrid thing from somebody who should know better and found it had basically been put together with whatever was lying around. Standard bolts where HT bolts should be, used bushings, missing washers, poor torque values etc.  :(

Exactly, you need to take it for what it is - an interesting custom build. 

• Like 2

Thought it was a fantastic build and was shown over the car last year. The rear arches being a highlight. Was also talk of e90 M3 v8 transplant at the time

Price reflects opportunity and hard to compare with e46 M3 pricing which has bottomed out. Give it a few years and these will start heading north again.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2017 at 5:10 PM, BM WORLD said:

yea i quite like the smg now

have always owned and driven manuls

converted many cars to manual

driven a few dct's etc

but i favorite one now is my m3 smg with the csl flash ,

have both m3 models at the moment manual and smg and the smg is my pick to drive ,

you just need to learn it a bit etc

Hey Brent, did you do the SMG CSL flash in house, or was it done by the PO. Looking for someone to do it locally (north island)

• Like 2

We can do the SMG CSL reflash as well as a DME tune like this:

Edited by HELLBM
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HELLBM said:

We can do the SMG CSL reflash as well as a DME tune like this:

Thanks Ray,

whats the feedback been been like on the CSL reflash? Heard varying reviews, but overall positive, which has lead me to this point.

also, cost? Cheers.

One of the coolest wagons I've ever seen. Perfect spec.