Sign in to follow this  
gjm

End of an era... 2002 E46 320d Touring

We've made an offer on a house, and probably won't have space for the 4 BMWs and 2 Mercedes in the drive, and the E30 in the garage. (The Cordobarot E36 318i saloon is already for sale.)

The 320d has been used very little over the last 12 months - that's why there's been nothing by way of updates on my thread about it. It passed WoF this morning (1st December) so has 12 months WoF, and I have added 3 months rego - now expires 4th Feb 2018.

It does have some reasonable mileage under it's wheels - just over 300000 miles. A tiny bit under 500000km.

Everything works. :)  I'll check, but I think even the aircon is cold.
It is virtually completely stock, as it left the factory. Only changes are that the front downpipe has had the cat removed (by Sinco, in Hamilton - superb piece of work), and a towbar was fitted at some point prior to our ownership - it wasn't there when we bought he car. Original rims, original spare wheel, even the original load bay roller blind / cover.

The only thing I'd plan to do, if keeping it, would be to tidy the paint. It does have chips across the leading edge of the bonnet, and there are some other areas which would benefit from attention. No dents or similar.

Comes with possibly the biggest pile of history you'll see on a car of this type. Massive detail, going back to before it was imported to NZ from the UK.

Tyres are all good condition Michelins.

I can continue with more details, but it's all been covered in my project thread: 

Just to keep things above board, here's a pic:

WP_20131116_001.jpg

Price... Always tricky.

$4000

Edited by gjm
Update WoF and rego details
  • Like 2

inerior pics please,.auto or manual ...and at the risk of repeating myself what was the cause and remedy of the no go interval.?

I'll sort interior pics tomorrow.

Automatic, with tiptronic (I think that's the correct terminology - I'll check).

We tracked the cause of non-running to water passing a bulkhead grommet, and collecting on the fuse/relay board. Only found this after removing the dash, suspecting a failed heater element. The heater element was found to be perfect and not leaking at all (I have a new, genuine BMW element in the garage...)

Probably a better buy than something with one third of the mileage with next to no preventative maintenance carried out with big ticket items needing to be replaced in the near future. 

What fuel figures do you get? Mine was consistently 6.2-6.7 l/100km regardless of city or highway. Nice cars and better than the underwhelming 4 cylinder petrols. 

Are you also selling your 500se? 

6 hours ago, coop said:

Probably a better buy than something with one third of the mileage with next to no preventative maintenance carried out with big ticket items needing to be replaced in the near future. 

What fuel figures do you get? Mine was consistently 6.2-6.7 l/100km regardless of city or highway. Nice cars and better than the underwhelming 4 cylinder petrols. 

Are you also selling your 500se? 

We're perhaps getting a little better than you are - typically over 600 miles (UK import) before the low fuel light comes on. Stopped checking after a while, but high 5s, low 6s. Bear in mind I do very little sitting in the city driving (although sitting on SH1 is going to have the same effect).

The 500SE may go up for sale, but that's not the plan. Yet.

2 hours ago, aja540i said:

Has the oil been changed? ;)

Lol ! B)
Once or twice.

I have some spares which will go with the car. Oil filters (I bulk-bought!), trans filter, gasket and bolts (this could be genuine BMW), and... Well, I'll check the E46 320d shelf in the garage.

I've seen this car in person, and it has been meticulously maintained.

glws

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zero said:

I've seen this car in person, and it has been meticulously maintained.

Thanks Nathan. :)

Apologies - interior pics will be tomorrow. (But it is now WoF'd and rego'd.)

you mean.. :ph34r: (e30 tax)

13 hours ago, Ahmedsinc said:

Hi, bit of a long shot, but would you consider an ‘85 318i E30 manual trade + cash my way?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, qube said:

you mean.. :ph34r: (e30 tax)

Shhh...!

Balances with the incredibly-well-serviced E46 diesel Touring tax. ;)

@Ahmedsinc: not what I had planned at all, but PM sent.

I really want this car mostly because of the milage, I am always interested in cars about 400,000km (except for my Hiace I took to well past that). I hope you can't sell it and it has to end up in my drive for bugger all.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

I really want this car mostly because of the milage, I am always interested in cars about 400,000km (except for my Hiace I took to well past that). I hope you can't sell it and it has to end up in my drive for bugger all.

:D

If I could afford to give it to you, I'd be happy to. :) 

4 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

What happened to the interior shots, G? ;)

What interior? ;)

I forgot. Nothing untoward, except my memory.

21 hours ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

i have a similar interest in this car..almost like one of has to take up the torch!

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

i have a similar interest in this car..almost like one of has to take up the torch!

Arnold_Schwarzenegger_do_it_now_meme.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/18/2018 at 8:24 PM, kiwi535 said:

@tom Delahunty needs to buy it he will put the milage on it.