Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Syy0628

rounded breakline nut, help

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I was replacing both the wheel cylinders on e36 316i because I was losing brake fluid and the first one came off easily, but the second one, I managed to round the nut a bit between the breakline and the wheel cylinder. I did use penetrating oil, but I used an open end spanner( I know, but that's what I have, and the other one came off easily), what should I do now? I tried to spin the wheel cylinder left and right, but it is not moving at all.

thanks

First id get the proper tool as you going to need them anyway. You can buy a full set of flared wrenches at SCA for $20 or just a 10mm one at hand tool place for probably not much

Depends on how bad you rounded it, A decent gas torch to heat around the thread on the wheel cylinder then flared wrench or vise grips. Should crack easy with heat.

Can't seems to be able to find flared spanner anywhere? SCA doesn't have them in stock. I have tried a few hardware store, and have had no luck.

Sulco Tools or SnapOn will have them 7 8 9 10 11 12 & 13mm spanners are required to cover work on all Euro brake systems. Follow your damaged brake line back to the next fitting and take it off with the correct spanner and just get a second hand brake line from the wreckers.

Do not use a gas torch or vice grips when working on brake components

3 people like this