Sign in to follow this  
Syy0628

rounded breakline nut, help

Hey guys,

I was replacing both the wheel cylinders on e36 316i because I was losing brake fluid and the first one came off easily, but the second one, I managed to round the nut a bit between the breakline and the wheel cylinder. I did use penetrating oil, but I used an open end spanner( I know, but that's what I have, and the other one came off easily), what should I do now? I tried to spin the wheel cylinder left and right, but it is not moving at all.

thanks

First id get the proper tool as you going to need them anyway. You can buy a full set of flared wrenches at SCA for $20 or just a 10mm one at hand tool place for probably not much

Depends on how bad you rounded it, A decent gas torch to heat around the thread on the wheel cylinder then flared wrench or vise grips. Should crack easy with heat.

Can't seems to be able to find flared spanner anywhere? SCA doesn't have them in stock. I have tried a few hardware store, and have had no luck.

Sulco Tools or SnapOn will have them 7 8 9 10 11 12 & 13mm spanners are required to cover work on all Euro brake systems. Follow your damaged brake line back to the next fitting and take it off with the correct spanner and just get a second hand brake line from the wreckers.

Do not use a gas torch or vice grips when working on brake components

• Like 3

I've got a very expensive set of brake line spanners I pickup up in Europe. Guess what....

they still round off the nuts 

The set I use will not round off a brake nut or nipple. In over 50 years I've not done that

• Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 7:58 AM, B.M.W Ltd said:

Sulco Tools or SnapOn will have them 7 8 9 10 11 12 & 13mm spanners are required to cover work on all Euro brake systems. Follow your damaged brake line back to the next fitting and take it off with the correct spanner and just get a second hand brake line from the wreckers.

Do not use a gas torch or vice grips when working on brake components

Hi Glenn, I couldn't find one that has 7, and 8mm, but is this the set you mean?

http://www.sulco.co.nz/Tools/Flare-Nuts-Crows-Feet-and-Hydraulic/6PC-9-21MM-FLARE-NUT-WRENCH-SET.html

Some of the modern flare tools have quite a lot of curved lead in before the hex of the tool.  This means that for some applications where the nut hex is up tight to a fitting, you only get to grip the top 1/2 of the nut with the flare tool.  Yep prone to rounding it with a flare tool if you're not careful.

I know it is a dead thread already, but I forget to update the situation when I solved it. So here is something for future search. 

I bought the proper brake line spanner, and took it off at the next fitting, and replaced the damaged brake line. Don't forget to bleed the brake.