Sign in to follow this  
kwhelan

Grand Tour Season 2

Started again, first episode not too bad, you have such familiartity with them but there wasn't a lot of driving, plenty of scenery and camera shots. Showed some good shorts of bits to come and some of it looked epic. they've started another celebrity drivers track and it was absolute S%$t. 

Most interesting part was the 3 car challenge between old tech lambo hurrican, hybrid nsx and a fully electric Rimac concept one.

Show ends with hammonds big crash in Switzerland hillclimb in the Rimac. Interesting thing was the car kept reigniting itself for 5 days after the crash as the cells of the batteries imploded on each other in a thermal reaction. Like a samsung note 7 then really, maybe thats why all those californian homes are burning due to all the electric cars.

I didn't mind the concept of the celeb drivers, could have got some better celebs though...

The three cars were very well chosen, and the familiar banter between presenters was good as usual.

It was one hell of a crash, and speaks volumes for the car design and safety that Hammond made it out alive. I think if you drove a californian home off the same hill it would fare much worse, the homes burning down are far more likely caused by the thousands of acres of brush fires around them...

Personally I would have liked to have seen more in-depth info and comparison with the Rimac. 

anyone have a link please 

so that i can report and get it taken down....... obviously :)

• Like 2

I just watched it on Amazon Prime, this morning.  It's fairly good.  I guess that wasn't the link you were looking for!

Bit sad to see May's new haircut, and Hammond's dye-job.  His hair has become blacker; like a workmate we used to razz with the tone of each new improbable hair colour.

season two has been a bit average until this weeks ep 5 

insane ripsaw tank in Dubai and 1500 hp dune buggies

some stunning video work

ended up signing up to Amazon prime until the end of the season then I will quit.

Good to watch the first season again as well, and in better quality than the first time around I watched it too, ;)

Yeh Dubai ep was exellent. Last weeks Jaaaggggg ep was quite like the top gear of old which was pretty good also.

• Like 1

the new season of Top Gear season 25 is 4 episodes in and they are really into their thing now.Chris Harris and Matt Le Blanc have really got a good relationship and matts comic timing is pretty undeniable. been some great articles electric motor-x bikes, 2cvs etc. I actually prefer it to the grand tour which seems just repeats of ideas. Top gear seems to have kept some fresh ideas coming in. matts articles about some massive crane or other industrial equipment are great fun.

• Like 2

On 19/03/2018 at 9:18 PM, kwhelan said:

the new season of Top Gear season 25 is 4 episodes in and they are really into their thing now.Chris Harris and Matt Le Blanc have really got a good relationship and matts comic timing is pretty undeniable. been some great articles electric motor-x bikes, 2cvs etc. I actually prefer it to the grand tour which seems just repeats of ideas. Top gear seems to have kept some fresh ideas coming in. matts articles about some massive crane or other industrial equipment are great fun.

Agreed.

I think new Top Gear is > old Top Gear and The Grand Tour is dead.

BBC should be quite happy with the outcome really. Amazon, not so much.

• Like 1

Wait.... Top Gear is no longer shite?! 

well just watched E6 last of latest top gear season 25 and I would rate this season as one of the best seasons.

pretty dramatic seeing them compete in monte carlo rally and have car burst into flames mid run.

Think matt was a genius casting and the 3 of them work really well together, their jokes are a bit more current than the original three

I downloaded the first series of the grand tour. It was ok, but I wouldn't rave about it - certainly not worth paying for.

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

I downloaded the first series of the grand tour. It was ok, but I wouldn't rave about it - certainly not worth paying for.

correct.

Sounds like ill give season 25 of top gear a whirl then.

Season 3 just started, nice montage of what's ahead. man they get some great scenic shots of locations camera work is outstanding as usual.

first episode is a set in detroit and about american muscle cars, 1000hp with a 2.9 qtr supercharger and is complete madness as usual. very sad about detroit tho. From the richest city in USA to the poorest.

worth it just to watch the McLaren senna a car I have never heard of break all lap records by seconds, 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kwhelan said:

Season 3 just started, nice montage of what's ahead. man they get some great scenic shots of locations camera work is outstanding as usual.

I'll be watching The Grand Tour S3E1 tonight!  Got 4K FireTV, she's a beauty.

6 hours ago, kwhelan said:

first episode is a set in detroit and about american muscle cars, 1000hp with a 2.9 qtr supercharger and is complete madness as usual. very sad about detroit tho. From the richest city in USA to the poorest.

worth it just to watch the McLaren senna a car I have never heard of break all lap records by seconds, 

Gosh the Senna is one ugly as car, but sh*t its quick. Loved the brake test in it, like dropping an anchor.

Typical ex-Top Gear stuff, lots of banter between the lads. Looking forward to the rest of the season. Couldnt give less of a sh*t if the "new" Top Gear was cancelled, they will never get the presenter interaction that Grand Tour has, which is what makes or breaks the show. Rumor has it they dropped Rory too, which was the only presenter that actually seemed passionate about his job.

• Like 1

Loved the bit about the Senna, seeing a car shave almost 4 seconds off the lap records when previous iterations were in 0.1’s and 0.2’s was just ridiculous. 

With Top Gear, I reckon BBC should just ditch the format and give Chris Harris his own show. I’d watch it. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, BlackrazorNZ said:

Loved the bit about the Senna, seeing a car shave almost 4 seconds off the lap records when previous iterations were in 0.1’s and 0.2’s was just ridiculous. 

With Top Gear, I reckon BBC should just ditch the format and give Chris Harris his own show. I’d watch it. 

Agreed, his youtube channel was better than post clarkson "Top gear"

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 2:58 PM, KwS said:

they will never get the presenter interaction that Grand Tour has, which is what makes or breaks the show. Rumor has it they dropped Rory too, which was the only presenter that actually seemed passionate about his job.

Of Top Gear:  I thought having Rory was a good idea; a genuinely 'man off the street' candidate.  Unfortunately he turned out to be a bit of a big-head, and didn't really gel with Monkey Harris, or Joey - both of whom were pretty damned good I thought.  I agree he was passionate about his job, and wore this well.  Top Gear didn't used to have great gel - just check it out before 1998.   It took some time to assemble the dream team, and then to change the format.  

I thought GT S3E1 was fun, though the pace was a bit slow.  No new ideas, perhaps?  And fresh ways of expressing an understandably reluctant Hammond to race.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

Of Top Gear:  I thought having Rory was a good idea; a genuinely 'man off the street' candidate.  Unfortunately he turned out to be a bit of a big-head, and didn't really gel with Monkey Harris, or Joey - both of whom were pretty damned good I thought.  I agree he was passionate about his job, and wore this well.  Top Gear didn't used to have great gel - just check it out before 1998.   It took some time to assemble the dream team, and then to change the format.  

I thought GT S3E1 was fun, though the pace was a bit slow.  No new ideas, perhaps?  And fresh ways of expressing an understandably reluctant Hammond to race.

Harris is good, but neither Rory or Matt worked well with him. He's better on his own. Matt was painful to watch imo, dry humor, weak personality.

I want GT to be all just cheap car challenges lol. Loved those segments on TG.

7 hours ago, KwS said:

Harris is good, but neither Rory or Matt worked well with him. He's better on his own. Matt was painful to watch imo, dry humor, weak personality.

There is supposed to be a cheap car challenge in China I think which has an E38, W140 and something else. Can’t wait for that one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NZ BMW said:

There is supposed to be a cheap car challenge in China I think which has an E38, W140 and something else. Can’t wait for that one. 

looking forward to that!

10 hours ago, KwS said:

funny different for everyone, I thought Matt was excellent after the first season nerves and  especially in the last season, his dry humour worked well with Chris and Rory, which for an american was quite unusual. I thought he had the potential to be better than clarkson less ranty and just the dry humour. His absolute joy in doing the stuff showed through better than clarksons as well.

His pieces about some combine harvester /tank or whatever were brilliant

the bit where he and harris were testing those battery moto-x bikes and the all terrain thing when they were hunting bigfoot was great and showed the potential those two had. Sorry to see he bailed.

Edited by kwhelan
  • Like 4