Sign in to follow this  
kwhelan

Grand Tour Season 2

It’s surprising how much of a gut ol’ Clarkson has got in the latest season. Was one of the first things my wife and I noticed and I’m hardly a svelte machine myself. 

Life on Amazon money must be good. 

Edited by BlackrazorNZ
  • Like 3

I noticed the gut also. His BBC salary was huge, Amazon apparently doubled that...

The Grand Tour is basically just Top Gear on a new channel and I was was already sort-of over the format and the personalities when it was axed by BBC. I preferred the new Top Gear and the fresher format and did like Matt in the lead, I'm disappointed he's gone.

Will probably still watch both, as always.

7 hours ago, kwhelan said:

I thought Matt was excellent after the first season nerves and  especially in the last season, his dry humour worked well with Chris and Rory, which for an american was quite unusual. I thought he had the potential to be better than clarkson less ranty and just the dry humour. His absolute joy in doing the stuff showed through better than clarksons as well.

His pieces about some combine harvester /tank or whatever were brilliant

the bit where he and harris were testing those battery moto-x bikes and the all terrain thing when they were hunting bigfoot was great and showed the potential those two had. Sorry to see he bailed.

I agree!  He was subtle, funny, could clearly peddle, and he's a genuine car guy with great frontman skills.

7 hours ago, BlackrazorNZ said:

It’s surprising how much of a gut ol’ Clarkson has got in the latest season. Was one of the first things my wife and I noticed and I’m hardly a svelte machine myself. 

Life on Amazon money must be good. 

Apparently he's given up the fags so packed it on a bit.

"It's the one word we caunt say."

Well done.

Just watched episode 5 with my number 1 daughter.  Very entertaining.  Excellent film about Jim Clark.  Watch it.

• Like 1

S3 ep9.  I am entirely nonplussed.  The new Aston Martin Vantage is so entirely homogenous IMHO, I don't know why they bothered.  It could be an MX5, an Audi, a Toyota.  At least they're using REAL COLOUR.  They're using that acid lemon-green that Datsun used around '75/'76, BRILLIANT!

Linked from Ratsun.net, 112 Yellow:
112Yellow2.jpg\

Linked from Autocar.co.uk

1-aston-martin-vantage-2018-otr-front.jp

Edited by Olaf

Yeh it was a little less interesting this episode. Although the look of awe on James May's face as he drove Neil Armstrong's Corvette down a shuttle runway at Cape Canaveral was the look of a man who could die happy now.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BlackrazorNZ said:

Yeh it was a little less interesting this episode. Although the look of awe on James May's face as he drove Neil Armstrong's Corvette down a shuttle runway at Cape Canaveral was the look of a man who could die happy now.

Its a very cool place, went on a tour there a few years ago, look on my face was the same :D When we were there it was all very much in the wind down phase though, so had an eeiry "the best that humanity has ever done use to happen here... but now it doesnt" sad vibe. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Its a very cool place, went on a tour there a few years ago, look on my face was the same :D When we were there it was all very much in the wind down phase though, so had an eeiry "the best that humanity has ever done use to happen here... but now it doesnt" sad vibe. 

my daughter asked me how it all worked, and how did they get back to earth?  I explained this, and noted it wasn't because we were taught this in school, but between the ages of 7 and 10 I'd get books out of the library, and read up on it... that (back then) it was pretty recent history, and... they were still going into space!  Now we don't even have Concorde.  Still, we do have t'interweb to find videos ?

34 minutes ago, Olaf said:

my daughter asked me how it all worked, and how did they get back to earth?  I explained this, and noted it wasn't because we were taught this in school, but between the ages of 7 and 10 I'd get books out of the library, and read up on it... that (back then) it was pretty recent history, and... they were still going into space!  Now we don't even have Concorde.  Still, we do have t'interweb to find videos ?

13819EBB-55F6-4A5B-9E10-6EEE0D5441C8.jpeg

• Haha 2

Surprised no comments yet about the last episode - a full hour of BMW M850i vs Bentley Continental vs Aston Martin DB-S

Not 100% convinced on the 850 looks but it held its own well - blitzed the others in a standing drag, the DB-S couldn't even put the power down and just spun out.

I enjoyed Clarkson's spiel about how BMW have butchered and devalued the ///M moniker. Just wait to he gets his hands on an X5//MDPHSXiswhatever.

I thought the 8er looked okay, good even. I'm glad that it appears smaller than it actually is because if it looked as big as it actually is they'd have to call it a GNSGT (Ginormous, Non-Sporty GT).

I did note they didn't do any agility tests with the cars... are they all 2 ton plus? Automatic disqualifier as a "sports car" if so.

I still prefer the new Top Gear, pity Matt is moving on.

Edited by M3AN

obviously the Aston spinning constantly is all done for the camera. 

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:41 PM, M3AN said:

I thought the 8er looked okay, good even. I'm glad that it appears smaller than it actually is because if it looked as big as it actually is they'd have to call it a GNSGT (Ginormous, Non-Sporty GT).

I did note they didn't do any agility tests with the cars... are they all 2 ton plus? Automatic disqualifier as a "sports car" if so.

Tare weight on the coupe is 1,890kg - so meets the criteria, just.

When @jeffbebe is around to bring his E31 850i to the Sunday meet I will try and borrow the coupe M850i so we can do some back-to-back comparison tests photos.

• Like 3

Judging by the last episode of the Grand Tour, thats it for the 3 of em... No more (maybe). :( 

Edited by Jacko

That's not how I interpreted it actually... did you watch it until the very end? Maybe I'm deluding myself?

Sounds like the Topgear/Grand Tour format is ending and it might be odd specials now?

Yeah, that's pretty much how I interpreted it, they said they were dumping the tent and going on more road trips, I think Jeremy even said "specials" once. The emotional bit at the beginning (of the end) was interesting, it really made me wonder.

There was talk of it changing to that format, without the tent, way back before the current season started. I was surprised when it started and there was still a tent.

Im looking forward to it. The best bits of the TG/GT shows for me was always the specials and challenges. Hope they do more cheap car challenges.