Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M5MAX

E39 M5 clutch life

8 posts in this topic

Ok guys , from people that have owned one of these or worked on them how long on a clutch ... in kms ?, and does it not make economic sence to replace the flywheel at the same time, as if you do not do so, then any little gremilns that may have been present will almost certainly bite you, and you will have labour cost all over again.

Edited by M5MAX

You can’t just narrow it down by kms alone. You could get over 300k kms on one if you did alot of hot kms cruising in top gear. Or you could kill one in an afternoon of severe abuse.

Flywheel replacement is optional, if there’s minimal play then you can leave it in.

Edited by BreakMyWindow
1 person likes this

o

12 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

You can’t just narrow it down by kms alone. You could get over 300k kms on one if you did alot of hot kms cruising in top gear. Or you could kill one in an afternoon of severe abuse.

Flywheel replacement is optional, if there’s minimal play then you can leave it in.

ok, thats about as i thought, mine was replaced at 83,000kms along with flywheel but have a troll saying it trashed at those kms is odd.. but it is a 400hp car.

It's got less to do with the power going through it and more with the torque and how the clutch is operated  and by the way if yoou swapped from the stupid horse things to kilowatts you would have less of them to deal with. 

No problem getting 250,000km out on a clutch in a high torque vehicle. 

The factory clutch on the e39 m5 is the weakest point in the drivetrain and is well documented online. That being said, with proper operation, it will last a long time and many, many kms.  I’d rather replace clutch components than gearbox or other expensive drivetrain items.

There was no evidence the clutch was replaced on mine and it was just nearing 200kms.  Most people who wear out clutches quickly haven’t been taught how to use them.

19 minutes ago, str8_6 said:

The factory clutch on the e39 m5 is the weakest point in the drivetrain and is well documented online.

along with all the other internet myths - your other comment is on the money. 

9 hours ago, M5MAX said:

o

ok, thats about as i thought, mine was replaced at 83,000kms along with flywheel but have a troll saying it trashed at those kms is odd.. but it is a 400hp car.

132kms on mine Max and it is original.

Mine is original at 107,000.  Holds fine but I did one hard launch and it couldn’t cope so I think they are vulnerable to abuse.