Sign in to follow this  
Mad_Max

E46 325i Transponder chip

Guy in town here has an E46 325i that won't start due to a missing transponder chip.... long story short, he was changing the batteries in the key in a Mitre 10 carpark and thought the chip was a wasted piece of plastic that had broken off, so it has gone missing.

So the question becomes, does anyone know the easiest/most cost effective way of replacing the chip? Or who is the best to do it? Obviously it will need to be coded to the car before being sent out. If anyone can point me in the right direction, or if any forum members can do it, it would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

This is an interesting story... The original keys had transponder and remote built into the same board. The coil around the ignition being a charger for the electronics in the key.

Assuming then this is an aftermarket key, like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EWS-Remote-Key-For-BMW-3-5-7-Series-E38-E39-E46-433MHZ-315MHZ-W-Chip-HU58-3BTN/172103766805

Note the little black thing next to the key, and the green electronics board. That's the transponder. You can buy those on ebay for a few bucks each, no fuss. You then need someone with an AK90+ to code it. You take out the EWS from the car, read it, code transponder to it. 

EDIT: Search ebay for "chip:PCF7935" to show just the transponder for that key above.

EDIT2: I have keys here, and an AK90+ if your mate pays for one key, and sends me his EWS, I can code it no problem. 

Edited by Gabe79
Added transponder search query.

16 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

Note the little black thing next to the key, and the green electronics board. That's the transponder. You can buy those on ebay for a few bucks each, no fuss. You then need someone with an AK90+ to code it. You take out the EWS from the car, read it, code transponder to it. 

EDIT: Search ebay for "chip:PCF7935" to show just the transponder for that key above.

EDIT2: I have keys here, and an AK90+ if your mate pays for one key, and sends me his EWS, I can code it no problem. 

Not sure if it's an aftermarket key or not, that little black thing is definitely not inside his key.

Cool, thanks heaps man, how much are you looking at for the key? I will put it to him, I can remove his EWS module and get it up to you easy.

express keys , send them the ews box

9 hours ago, Mad_Max said:

Not sure if it's an aftermarket key or not, that little black thing is definitely not inside his key.

Cool, thanks heaps man, how much are you looking at for the key? I will put it to him, I can remove his EWS module and get it up to you easy.

Can you send me some detailed, up close pictures of the key?

The key costs what it costs on that link above, $18ish. Round up to $20. Actually coding transponder to EWS takes half an hour or so, send self-addressed return envelope and I can post back same, or next day.

4 hours ago, BM WORLD said:

express keys , send them the ews box

Thanks Brent, will keep them in mind for future issues.

3 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

Can you send me some detailed, up close pictures of the key?

I will get some and send them through as soon as possible, will probably be tomorrow. And I'll pm you to grab your details as well so we can get it up to you asap.

Send us your DME and we will do an ews delete on it. Plug and play $150 bimmersport price.