Sign in to follow this  
kulgan

E36 advice needed. Guibo??

I'm looking at a E36 328i that the current owner said has a stuffed transmission.

I took it for a drive yesterday and it had a severe clunk in 1st

0that could be felt through the transmission tunnel and a bit of a whine. 

Has anyone had any experiance with these symptoms.

Before I make an offer it'd be nice to know if it is the trans which might be more than the cars worth or the Guibo which for me would be a relatively easy swap.

I dont have access to a hoist though could jack it up. Will I be able to see past the exhaust to check the Guibo if I jack it up and get under it?

Edited by kulgan

I can see the guibo on the E36 Ti. WoF'd a couple of days ago, and noted that while OK now it will probably need replacing for the next WoF.

• Like 1

Severe clunk in 1st would make me think it's either low on fluid or there's something internally wrong with the trans. If the trans is stuffed, I've got the one I took out of my 328i that I'd sell for $50, freight be the only killer. Trans was good when removed, it was low on fluid but didn't clunk, no noises, no slipping gears. Just something to consider if the rest of it is a good car.

Forgot to mention, from memory yes you can see the guibo without dropping exhaust and heat shields etc. It could possibly also be one of the tailshaft uni joints are failing.

Edited by Mad_Max
Adding more info
  • Like 1

Is the clunk with clutch in and selecting gear or while moving off? 

Whining noise will not be your guibo 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2017 at 10:57 AM, kulgan said:

I'm looking at a E36 328i that the current owner said has a stuffed transmission.

One detail we are missing, I'm assuming it's an automatic

32 minutes ago, dirtydoogle said:

Is the clunk with clutch in and selecting gear or while moving off? 

Whining noise will not be your guibo 

Lol we've both made the same mistake - I've assumed it's an auto, and you've assumed manual....... one of us is right hahaha. Agree completely the guibo will not cause the whine.

Does the whining noise sound anything like in this guy's video?

• Like 2

It's an auto and it's not just one clunk. It's a regular clunking that increases with speed and the whine I described was more of a whistle that also increased with revs.

Sort of tempted. The rest of the car is pretty decent.

As to the video Geordie. I got rid of the particular whine a few months back.. lol

whine could be feedback coming through the speakers from dying alternator perhaps?

If it is the Jatco auto in them they are known for clunking at the best of times, but will go another 150,000 no worries.

9 hours ago, kulgan said:

It's an auto and it's not just one clunk. It's a regular clunking that increases with speed and the whine I described was more of a whistle that also increased with revs.

It might pay to check the cv joints on the driveshaft, they may be making the clicking noise. Does the noise increase with engine revs or with the speed of the car? Just thinking that, if it is a constant noise that increases with road speed, it is more likely to be coming from the diff/output shafts. If you notice it changing relative to the engine speed/transmission output speed then it has to be trans or something forward of it.

• Like 1

It's a definite clunk that can be felt through the transmission tunnel inside the car and it increases with the sped of the car.

After a lot of reading online it seems the Guibo might be the culprit. I need to go back for another look at it and make an offer on the car. If I do get it it'll have the reg put on hold and put in the shed for a winter project.