Sign in to follow this  
curryinahurry

Close call

So I've recently picked up a E46 330d to drive around the country over the summer.

The car has a thorough service history from BMW, so I really wasn't expecting to do much - but the service book doesn't mention whether its had the swirl flaps removed.  So I thought I better check by removing the manifold.

Couple of hours later - heres what I've found : 

IMG_20171216_182627.thumb.jpg.a691f7802e1519018b4e3f38ea8c55ea.jpg

The swirl flaps are still there - 1 barely!!!

IMG_20171216_182638.thumb.jpg.48d7003600a51b4495bfdcb0113ac279.jpg

The shaft had snapped, but the flap itself is still lodged in there - Very lucky!!!

Given its only 1 more week til xmas, I really needed to get this sorted.  So I spent the next day making swirl flap blanks.

IMG_20171217_125154.thumb.jpg.c1250512de32fcddf6098ad9c0cfc98b.jpg

IMG_20171217_152530.thumb.jpg.03a373b3e72dcf28fe9c3c6c9562d0b7.jpg

While I was at it, I gave the EGR a clean too!

IMG_20171217_112420.thumb.jpg.4ba7fde42c188665a56cb7eb8ab11776.jpg

IMG_20171217_155118.thumb.jpg.2ac5aa4380d602d0c99f252430e125a7.jpg

Got it all back together this afternoon and took it for spin.  All is good :)

Currently I'm getting around 8.7 L / 100 km, its quite a bit higher than my mates tuned 320d - he gets 900+ km in a tank.  Does anyone know whether mines running normal?  It sits in traffic most of the time...

Andrew

• Like 5

you made your own swirls flap blanks!  Awesome.  top marks :)

I'd guess that 8.7l/100km in traffic isn't too bad.  it's when you get onto a trip that you can expect to see that fuel economy the diesel lump is famous for.

Nice machine work!

Brilliant save, boy the cash register would have been ringing on that if it went the other way. By chance where those deposits dry or oily?. Even under city driving thought you would have gotten better economy than 8.7 plus the ruc would make as bad if not worse than petrol. Still be interesting to see what you get on a long trip. Best of luck have a safe holiday.

• Like 1

my 120d(manual and chippped) was always 6.5 l 100 k around town,but i never really sat in traffic much.Open road was 5,5 l 100 easy......if you were always on the flat i reckon it would be in the 4 s.... the 120d was high geared 100k in 6th was about 1700 rpm almost of boost 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, allan said:

Brilliant save, boy the cash register would have been ringing on that if it went the other way. By chance where those deposits dry or oily?. Even under city driving thought you would have gotten better economy than 8.7 plus the ruc would make as bad if not worse than petrol. Still be interesting to see what you get on a long trip. Best of luck have a safe holiday.

Yeah, I was very fortunate, i think if it went the other way it'd be a write off.  The deposits definitely wasn't bone dry, but not quite dripping with oil either.  What are your thoughts?

Not sure If oily were did it come from / or normal the first thing that comes to mind was turbo seals beginning to leak then a ccv system gummed up but could be being an alarmist. It may have a good service history but it doesn't tell you the type of driving the vehicle had how many ks if you don't mind.

the egr circulation system will always be slightly oily/damp so you end up with damp carbon depsoits in the inley manifold

Deposits are usually from the CCV system in these engines, especially on higher km engines. Check the filter in the CCV has been changed.