Sign in to follow this  
gjm

New Plymouth - where to live? (And where not to?)

Unfortunately I may have been struck by the Christmas Cull, and the hunt for employment has begun.

I'd not really considered moving to Taranaki (although it has been lovely whenever we have visited), but the opportunity for an interesting and challenging role has come up. Can't commute... So will need to move.

Any insight to living in the area? Anywhere in particular to stay well away from? We'd be after somewhere with some space (more than 2000sq m) and definitely with peace and quiet. We don't want to be isolated, but we don't want to live in someone else's pocket, either. Coastal, or water views, would be welcome.

Travel time into Plymouth... Would consider up to an hour, but would prefer to be closer. At least there is less likelihood of sitting in traffic every day!

Of course, it may not happen, but I do like to plan these things. :)

Sorry to hear Graham

For Naki Choices are grand, pretty much anywhere in Naki to NP is 60mins, opens up the whole district

We’re in Inglewood, weathers a bit more dire to be fair, personally I’d pick somewhere from NP upto Urenui if your looking for some land, weathers better on the coast, bit warmer as well. 

Check out the Taranaki Regional Council page for annual weather info, it’s pretty changeable across the region, so worth checking out.

feel free to hit us up if your after a chat or cuppa if you have to come over for a look

• Like 2

Thanks Brent.

It's far from a done-deal at the moment, but I will be needing to find something. And (no offense intended to those living there!) getting away from Auckland would be A Good Thing.

I have fingers out in the BoP, Hawkes Bay, Manawatu, Taranaki and Waikato. Of course, it is completely the wrong time of year to try to find anything. :(

• Like 1

dunno about the wrong time.I would think that there are number of people making a move/change at this time of year

I have an opportunity to move to NP too,wife isnt keen

59 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

dunno about the wrong time.I would think that there are number of people making a move/change at this time of year

I have an opportunity to move to NP too,wife isnt keen

Just the wrong time to find work. Few adverts, and recruitment is sooo sloooooow... At the same time, the countdown to 'Here's your final pay - see ya!' seems to get faster.

Apparently the surf is pretty good, too.

• Like 1

I was there for a few days for work last month and it is quite nice 

The weather isn't as nice as the Hawkes Bay but there is an overwhelming amount of really cool roads up the hills 

And a billion tossers in R33s doing sick skids oi

Lots of worse places in the world to live. Realistic house prices, and much more space are a big plus. 

I can't say about specific areas, but the region is pretty good. Some sound bimmersporters down that way too!

• Like 1