Sign in to follow this  
aja540i

badge removal

So, santa brought me a set of new badges for the M5, does anyone have a sure fire way of removing the old M5 badge without royally stuffing the paintwork? I would like to give it a good clean and polish before I stick the new ones on but would rather not have to re-spray the tailgate! TIA.

Use a hair dryer (not too close to the paint) to heat the adhesive up on the back of the badge.  You don’t want to heat it so you can’t touch it or you could damage the paint.

Then in the past I’ve used fishing wire to slide in behind the badge.  Some will come off just by getting your fingernail in behind and pulling them gently.  If yours are original, you’ll probably have residue glue left over.  This will lift with a little meths.  Even olive oil can work.

Good Luck!!

+ for dental floss. A nice warm day helps but not necessary. Google is your friend

Assuming that its the coloured M stripes that are faded, its possible to keep you old badge and stick some new stripes on.  that way you'll keep you badge at the correct location.  Just make sure you get good quality decal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, curryinahurry said:

Assuming that its the coloured M stripes that are faded, its possible to keep you old badge and stick some new stripes on.  that way you'll keep you badge at the correct location.  Just make sure you get good quality decal.

Hey, that's not something I'd thought of. Any suggestions on decal providers?

10 hours ago, curryinahurry said:

itssuming that its the coloured M stripes that are faded, its possible to keep you old badge and stick some new stripes on.  that way you'll keep you badge at the correct location.  Just make sure you get good quality decal.

I have a cunning plan for getting It In the correct position, and since I have $300+ worth of new badges I should probably use them!! ;)

Dental floss for the win! It took the old badge off, my thumbnail took off the rest of the foam tape, a bit of meths took care of the glue residue, then a clean and a quick polish before putting new badge on...homemade template to line up badge made with cling film, knead it, and a stick!

DSC_0331.thumb.JPG.76a2c9280f1f820186cc9abf7a9d7227.JPG

old badge removed...

DSC_0332.thumb.JPG.3dfd6435849d4c949fb6ad3bd44520cd.JPG

cleaned and polished...

DSC_0335.thumb.JPG.f6e165e894b4baf4d5735713d964ab68.JPG

new badge in template...

DSC_0334.thumb.JPG.049a049a9be739a88b5dc1d31e1acc7a.JPG

and fitted to car. Result.

DSC_0336.thumb.JPG.e5034cff5ccf2ddd971415ebb52116db.JPG

• Like 7

It’s always the little things, nice job

Well done sir was it the colours faded or the chrome having bubbles in that needed it to be changed/. if you weren't replacing the badge it may require a bit more effort. As the paint work under the badge has not suffered from exposure to the harsh elements and the image of the badge can still be seen. A bit of elbow grease with some cutting compound and then polish fixes that.

Edited by allan

the colours were badly faded and the chrome had a few scratches in it, one of the roundels was badly stone chipped, it was on the back but i suspect someone had swapped the front and rears because the front was not too bad. I used crc paint doctor to remove the worst of the outline / scratches but didn't bother with a full machine polish as i would have to do the whole tailgate to make it look right.

Interesting didn't realize the roundels were the same dia front and rear. Mmm sounds like you escaped Murphys law their haha :lol: well you got it sorted.

Edited by allan

I soaked mine with desolve it for half hour first, then used fishing line which came with new badges to remove, then a heat gun and more desolve it to remove left over foam and adhesive. Clean and polish and good as new. You Tube vids showed all the above and caution required with heat gun. I also took heaps of pics before and took measurements to ensure correct location of new badges.

49 minutes ago, allan said:

Interesting didn't realize the roundels were the same dia front and rear. Mmm sounds like you escaped Murphys law their haha :lol: well you got it sorted.

Exact same part front and rear on the touring, not sure about sedan, even the parts guy at Continental was surprised!