coop

Off road X5?

12 posts in this topic

Spotted this whilst browsing X5s. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1437664883.htm?rsqid=374e9dd67ff942cbb282d883ff41bec1

Not my thing, kinda see the appeal for novelty value, but what a flog trying to pass this off as a genuine 4wd by comparing to Surfs etc.  

Bloke prob doesn't understand how gearing works. 

Get this beast up Muriwai Beach in soft wet sand, coupled with no low range and the added load to turn those bigger tyres, she will cook the trans in no time. 

Sounds good but. 

Yep, tyres/wheels are stupid it will be seriously over geared and not much articulation either. Not sure how good the early 4WD system is but the post 04 Xdrive is actually pretty good . 

Given that your average 01 X5 is going for around $5-7k there should be a few more of these cropping up?

Pretty sure this is the one I cross posted from off-road express, he talked about swapping as much of the drive train that could be for Range Rover parts, not sure what parts that would include, or if he got around to it.

Seems like he got sick of it throwing up warning codes and is moving it along before abusing it.

Edited by EUROLESS

25 minutes ago, EUROLESS said:

Pretty sure this is the one I cross posted from off-road express, he talked about swapping as much of the drive train that could be for Range Rover parts, not sure what parts that would include, or if he got around to it.

Seems like he got sick of it throwing up warning codes and is moving it along before abusing it.

Before, or after abusing it? :)

BMW developed both the Range Rover and the X5 as they owned both. 

They saw value in acquiring the suspension knowledge from Rover,  the drive system actually has more in common with a Subaru and some of the transfer technology is licenced from Subaru. 

The X5 & RR designs are quite similar - the X5 has a more teutonic drive - i.e firm and accurate on the road the RR has a more plush suspension with better articulation. If you have a look under an RR you will note it has longer lower arms to achieve this. 

You can change the  rear subframe and axles over from an RR into an X5 to get more articulation with a little bit of work. Similarly you can change the front suspension to get more front articulation if that's what you want. 

When it comes to balls out performance driving the X5 shits all over the RR 

What suspension knowledge did BMW gain to stand from RR considering all LR had put out prior to BMWs ownership was live axles?

I had thought the post live axle L322 RR/Disco 3 had raided the BMW parts bin, as detailed in your post. 

Taking this thing from factory 28-29" rolling diameter to 33" would make it a real slug, its bad enough going to 31s on most 4wds on stock gearing. 

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

Only the dynamics of offroad wheel articulation and that was being generous, the boss of BMW at the time was a confessed anglophile (yes even Germans are not perfect - you get the odd dud one).

Why would one of the smartest and most sucessful car companies want to buy the most dysfunctional dud car company  on the planet. Then again Benz bought Chrysler and got the biggest dud! , maybe the Russions were interfering with something or it was a pre Brexit plan  by the brits and the yanks to destablise the European Union?

After BMW bled sh*t loads of dosh trying to sort out the garbage that was Rover  the bank said to the managment team ditch Rover or get a new bank - they gave Rover away  1 Euro and paid the wages bill for 3 months (or more) something like 83 million Euros and the boss got the DCM (Don't Come Monday). 

Gearing is  about 15% taller that is UGLY 

Having owned an early model X5, it’s apparent BMW also borrowed some of LR’s build quality.  The door handle mechanism is a horrid design (I used to cross fingers it would open when I walked up to it).  They do however offer a dynamic drive for what they are.  

Nope , thats good old built in America quality - The door handle mechanism issue is just sh*t casting capability of the yanks design is fine as later ones prove we did ours at 140,000km replacement ones are fine. 

There are some quite ugly things they did like using the same bolts to hold the swat bay and bash plate on at the front typical corner cutting engineering of the yanks.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

Mid and large size X range are assembled in 'Murica, but the engineering is still based in Germany. Many of the parts are produced outside U.S. As well, not sure about the specifics of door handles in old X5s as well.

As much as I'm a purist, it is these oddities that do make things more interesting. :D

I do think doing this on a later model with the much better XDrive system would have made more sense. These old ones like mine use the DSC system to regulate power delivery.