Sign in to follow this  
coop

Off road X5?

Spotted this whilst browsing X5s. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1437664883.htm?rsqid=374e9dd67ff942cbb282d883ff41bec1

Not my thing, kinda see the appeal for novelty value, but what a flog trying to pass this off as a genuine 4wd by comparing to Surfs etc.  

Bloke prob doesn't understand how gearing works. 

Get this beast up Muriwai Beach in soft wet sand, coupled with no low range and the added load to turn those bigger tyres, she will cook the trans in no time. 

Sounds good but. 

Pretty sure this is the one I cross posted from off-road express, he talked about swapping as much of the drive train that could be for Range Rover parts, not sure what parts that would include, or if he got around to it.

Seems like he got sick of it throwing up warning codes and is moving it along before abusing it.

Edited by EUROLESS

This post I believe. 

25 minutes ago, EUROLESS said:

Pretty sure this is the one I cross posted from off-road express, he talked about swapping as much of the drive train that could be for Range Rover parts, not sure what parts that would include, or if he got around to it.

Seems like he got sick of it throwing up warning codes and is moving it along before abusing it.

Before, or after abusing it? :)

What suspension knowledge did BMW gain to stand from RR considering all LR had put out prior to BMWs ownership was live axles?

I had thought the post live axle L322 RR/Disco 3 had raided the BMW parts bin, as detailed in your post. 

Taking this thing from factory 28-29" rolling diameter to 33" would make it a real slug, its bad enough going to 31s on most 4wds on stock gearing. 

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

Having owned an early model X5, it’s apparent BMW also borrowed some of LR’s build quality.  The door handle mechanism is a horrid design (I used to cross fingers it would open when I walked up to it).  They do however offer a dynamic drive for what they are.  

Mid and large size X range are assembled in 'Murica, but the engineering is still based in Germany. Many of the parts are produced outside U.S. As well, not sure about the specifics of door handles in old X5s as well.

As much as I'm a purist, it is these oddities that do make things more interesting. :D

I do think doing this on a later model with the much better XDrive system would have made more sense. These old ones like mine use the DSC system to regulate power delivery.