BrentNZ

E30 Coupe - Engine swap too 1jz, M52 or ????

9 posts in this topic

Just purchased this 83 E30, always liked the shape and think it's screaming for a Engine and Manual swap. Currently has a the 2.0 6 cyclinder with Auto.

Certainly nothing to look at currently so will get the nessecary drop and wheels, possibly front and rear bumper as well... not sure what for that though.

Happy to hear suggestions or if someone has a suitable engine/ gearbox that may suit this.

Also if anyone want the engine and auto out of it then let me know as that will be coming out ASAP.

Brent

 

654316995.jpg

684685347.jpg

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

S54 , have a spare if needed.

I would if i had a spare tidy e30 coupe laying about

 

at least it would be worth something at the end of the project if done to a high standard

Edited by BM WORLD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BM WORLD said:

S54 , have a spare if needed.

I would if i had a spare tidy e30 coupe laying about

 

at least it would be worth something at the end of the project if done to a high standard

Hmmm, nice... which one specifically?
Could you please text me so I can give you a call re price and gearbox options.

Thanks Brent

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BrentNZ said:

Hmmm, nice... which one specifically?
Could you please text me so I can give you a call re price and gearbox options.

Thanks Brent

 

S54 3.2L from a e46 m3 343HP

 

my number 021433600

 

thanks

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cant beat M52 for bang for buck, reliability, good power upgrade, light weight, easy swap, a million people done it so plenty of data on the internet what works and what doesnt. i can bang a conversion out in a weekend now once you have all the bits.

Really comes down to budget, and i defiantley run with the school of thought while the motor (regardless of waht you put in) is out, change all the gaskets, seals, o rings, spark plugs, etc. If not everything then at the very least especially the stuff on the bottom like sump gaskets and rear main seal, timing cover that are hard to get to once the motor is in (again, regardless of the engine you choose. makes it a lot more enjoyable once finished if everything works as it should, doesnt leave a mess on your freinds driveways, etc.

$5k will get you a fully certified M52/ZF swap including all the other stuff to think about

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1JZ would be super easy to do.

Still I'd prob go S54, would be a fun machine either way.

I've often thought a 4 cylinder better suits the E30 chassis, an nice Vtec engine would be a good unit, K24A or F20C

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spent a fair bit of time considering the merits of various engine swaps before deciding to stick with a 4-pot. It is typically lighter, better balances the car, leaves a lot more room in the engine bay (easier to work on) and means more space for future mods. It's simpler, so if I decide to do something silly with it, I'll have an easier platform to begin with.

JMHO.

And I couldn't afford this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

cant beat M52 for bang for buck, reliability, good power upgrade, light weight, easy swap, a million people done it so plenty of data on the internet what works and what doesnt. i can bang a conversion out in a weekend now once you have all the bits.

Really comes down to budget, and i defiantley run with the school of thought while the motor (regardless of waht you put in) is out, change all the gaskets, seals, o rings, spark plugs, etc. If not everything then at the very least especially the stuff on the bottom like sump gaskets and rear main seal, timing cover that are hard to get to once the motor is in (again, regardless of the engine you choose. makes it a lot more enjoyable once finished if everything works as it should, doesnt leave a mess on your freinds driveways, etc.

$5k will get you a fully certified M52/ZF swap including all the other stuff to think about

Hey Andy,

Thanks for your input, yeah that is where I had thought I would go initially, 190HP wasn't really getting me too excited though :) totally agree with changing other items whilst engine is on the hoist!

Do you have any leads/ tips for a M52/ZF and conversion parts that would suit this change?

Brent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something we have done with a couple of E30`s and an E34 is the M54B30 Conversion.

What we can supply is:

M54B30 with ancilliaries
ZF Box
E36 Arm
MS43 DME with ews delete/manual/EU2 tune
E30 pedal set with E46 Accelerator Drive by wire pedal.
Necessary wiring.
Not to dissimilar to an M52B28 conversion.
4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now