Sign in to follow this  
M3_Power

Anyone here in International shipping or logistics?

Reaching out to the community first before I ring around for quotes!!

I found a true unicorn in terms of BMW spare parts and purchased it before Christmas. It is currently sitting with a friend in Germany. However I need help getting it over here (bit large to just rock down to the post shop!!)

It is unfortunately slightly fragil to travel I suppose, but extremely lightweight 3.2kg, quite large however (1500mm x 1000mm x 180mm) before any packaging.

I want it airfreighted on its own not in combined freight and most definitely not by sea given my experience with shipment damage. I am well aware I’ll be paying for the previlegd so that’s ok!

If you can help please let me know !!

Thank you!!

I consult in the domestic freight market and as part of that we deconsolidate international freight shipments; I can tell you this, if its fragile then it needs to be packaged correctly. Int Air Freight will consolidate as they see fit "I want it airfreighted on its own not in combined freight" All freight is combined, that's how it works. Being prepared to pay is all well and good but that will end up as a negotiated rate on an air container which will likely cost you up many thousands of dollars.  I suggest you get the person who has it now to make a strong box for it then start getting prices from established carriers DHL etc based on the weight and cubic of the packaged product. If 20 off years in freight has taught me anything it's that packaging is king. 

• Like 1

Packaging is Key. we have a North Euro freight forwarder that's been good to us, but even they are at the mercy of the airlines, unless you are lucky enough to get a direct DHL flight. I'd even go so far as to say, it doesn't matter if the packing is heavier than the actual product, as long as it survives the possibility of being thrown about as part of cargo. 

• Like 1

Would the article be able to be vacuum packed, fitted into a box then filled will aerosol expandable foam Tom ??

2 hours ago, lord_jagganath said:

Packaging is Key. we have a North Euro freight forwarder that's been good to us, but even they are at the mercy of the airlines, unless you are lucky enough to get a direct DHL flight. I'd even go so far as to say, it doesn't matter if the packing is heavier than the actual product, as long as it survives the possibility of being thrown about as part of cargo. 

In my experience shipping by air is worse for damage than by sea, even when it is packed and wrapped to within an inch of it's life. Had a shipment of prototype front bumpers arrive in Melbourne, all clearly marked "top Stow Only" "this way up" "fragile" "do not break down", strapped on a pallet (when they left, not when they arrived), etc. and they were all smashed to pieces. Cargo loaders will do whatever they have to in order to squeeze everything into the hold of the plane unfortunately, plus the package goes through so many more changes of hands / transport hand overs that is gets thrown about at each stage.

I believe all the BMW Parts that are air-freighted from Germany come on a Singapore Airlines dedicated cargo flight, but I am not sure who the logistics company is that organises either end.

2 hours ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

Would the article be able to be vacuum packed, fitted into a box then filled will aerosol expandable foam Tom ??

Hmmmmmm i don’t think so, it’s a thin carbon panel, whilst strong, impact the corners Or havesomething heavy land in the middle or the packaging bent would mean certain destruction.

Having said this however, when BMW AG used to sell these they send them in a fairly small dimension cardboard box with no reinforcements and very little protection.

Not sure if the expansion foam could cause a reaction with the carbon??

Vacuum pack it first if that's able to be done