Sign in to follow this  
Olaf

If rego has lapsed... costs to re-reg?

Hi gang

I know this has been covered many times before as I have seen it.  I wasn't paying attention, and never thought I'd be in the position of barn finding, buying, and getting a car back on the road.  

Yes, I've tried the patent search bicycle, to no avail.  I have no google foo today.

So the story is:

If one finds a car where the rego has lapsed (and it wasn't put on hold, still has the original plates); it was last rego'd and WoF'd about 2.5 years ago... what costs am I looking at to get the car back on the road?

Thanks in advance.

I need to establish costs before I approach and negotiate a deal.  

Aside from WoF, Rego, Inspection costs, I know it'll need brake fluid, diff oil, engine oil change, trans oil change, prolly a battery...

And no, don't ask me what it is.  If I seal the deal, I'll start a project thread.

Cheers.

Edited by Olaf

So as I understand it, if the rego has lapsed for more than 12 months NZTA cancel the registration and chase the owner for payment of the registration fees.

So you'd be looking at the cost of reregistering (http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/licensing-rego/vehicle-fees/registration-fees/).

I would think you'd also want to establish whether the previous owner had paid up to NZTA for the registration for the first 12 months it was lapsed. If not then you're probably up for that as well.

• Like 1

depends where you take it etc approx. $300-400 for the inspection

plus what ever they find worn ,faulty etc , brakes , suspension joints , tyres , lights etc

rust ??

plus 200-300 for new plates and rego etc

but be careful if it has had any major past body/chassis damage etc

if they see anything like that , will require a engineers report etc , and a engineer will only sign it off if he sees it all stripped back etc

I would want to get it up on a hoist to inspect it 1st or at least up on jack stands and go under it with a bright light

pull back boot carpets , wheel arch liners etc

good luck

• Like 3

As its an "out of service" car, is the new owner allowed to do work on all parts/systems to bring it up to standard before the WOF inspection?  Was thinking about the brakes, Faded memory has it listed as something the owner/DIY'er can't work on when its an out of service car?

thanks for the responses, chaps.

I think I'll get a PPI done, with permission (wearing my own PPE) to get under the hoist with the car.  It's been dry-stored in a garage.  It'll certainly need a RF headlamp and fog lamp, and a left door mirror glass.  Tyres look okay.  Brakes rotors have a very mild dusting of rust - probably come off with 15 mins of driving.

The main question will be, as Brent says, what's found on the inspection - any damage.  It's certainly an un-molested example, quite a rare thing these days.

I'd prefer if at all possible to maintain it on its orig plates.  With luck, it's rego is on hold.  Perhaps I should stump up for the carjam report on it.

cheers!

just put the plate into carjam and see.....you dont have to buy any report to do that.If the plates are still associated with a car,that car will come up.If not the plate will come back not found ?

it's there in carjam, but the report was generated 3 years ago...

So Richard, spill the beans!!

If you need a hand (second pair of eyes) to look over it, let me know

Barry

• Like 1