Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
325_driver

e46 Fan Blower

4 posts in this topic

e46 BMW 2002

This problem started after i left the car not running for a while - and the sun was scorching the vehicle few months (not sure if its linked to the problem)

I remember leaving the car sitting for ages a-long time ago and the same thing happened - not fan settings worked for ages - and then one day it mysteriously started working again (all setting )

But now after leaving the car sitting again - no air comes out,

Doesn't matter what setting the fan speed is set to nothing (or maybe a tiny amount) comes out, i.e. if i turn on the A/C I can definitely notice the difference between ambient air and cold air coming through the vents.

I hear the final stage resistor on these things are pretty common culprits, but before i go into getting the part as their pretty cheap, but good to be sure, I was hoping anyone had any insight to some steps to diagnose it / confirm.

Thanks heaps

Hedgehog is very common failure.

Most people say to buy genuine one as the cheaper hedgehogs seam to have a shorter life - some only last a few months. Also its a pain to install so you dont want to do it more than you have too.

yeah - genuine from US is only like $50 + postage

i was watching the installation of it - upsidedown with my head in the pedal box sounds like a bit of me,

Has any one had a fan blower motor go - just trying to figure out how i would discern between either one

Personally, I would do hedgehog first, as it will need replacing at some point anyway. 

I used a cut down torx screwdriver to get it out.