Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

e46 Fan Blower

e46 BMW 2002

This problem started after i left the car not running for a while - and the sun was scorching the vehicle few months (not sure if its linked to the problem)

I remember leaving the car sitting for ages a-long time ago and the same thing happened - not fan settings worked for ages - and then one day it mysteriously started working again (all setting )

But now after leaving the car sitting again - no air comes out,

Doesn't matter what setting the fan speed is set to nothing (or maybe a tiny amount) comes out, i.e. if i turn on the A/C I can definitely notice the difference between ambient air and cold air coming through the vents.

I hear the final stage resistor on these things are pretty common culprits, but before i go into getting the part as their pretty cheap, but good to be sure, I was hoping anyone had any insight to some steps to diagnose it / confirm.

Thanks heaps

Hedgehog is very common failure.

Most people say to buy genuine one as the cheaper hedgehogs seam to have a shorter life - some only last a few months. Also its a pain to install so you dont want to do it more than you have too.

yeah - genuine from US is only like $50 + postage

i was watching the installation of it - upsidedown with my head in the pedal box sounds like a bit of me,

Has any one had a fan blower motor go - just trying to figure out how i would discern between either one

Personally, I would do hedgehog first, as it will need replacing at some point anyway. 

I used a cut down torx screwdriver to get it out.

I found a long thin allen key that seemed to fit and work, but it took a very long time.  Get a mirror on a stick + a torch and pre-book a physio session for your back and shoulders for when it's complete.

Easily one of the worst DIY's I've ever done on a car, ever. 

I second the 'use a quality hedgehog' - I tried a cheap one and it lasted about 3 months. I bought main from a BMW main dealer - faster turnaround, and the difference in price wasn't significant.

The bolts/screws that secure it are torx head. I bought a set of tools from Repco (I think) - green handled ones. The correct size torx tool was exactly the right length. Once upside in the footwell with your head positioned just so, your feet somewhere else while swearing about the seat and questioning the heritage of whoever decided this was a good place to put something that fails...

• Like 1

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but where would one find a replacement for this unit? just buy this part online from a certain shop or are they available locally? 

Mine just went kaput last night LOL

I purchased a Meyle unit from MillAnd in Dunedin.  Unit has been working great for 18 months so far.

You need to know the part number when ordering via Email.

www.milland.co.nz

42 minutes ago, NZ00Z3 said:

I purchased a Meyle unit from MillAnd in Dunedin.  Unit has been working great for 18 months so far.

You need to know the part number when ordering via Email.

www.milland.co.nz

Seconded.

Paul (at MillAnd) is very good. Give him your chassis number and he'll ensure you get the correct part, or he'll check that the number you give him is the right one.

Fitting is fun. Not. Can certainly be done at home, though.

have plenty , can also fit them if needed