Sign in to follow this  
30Tyt

M50 swap with getrag 240

Hey guys, sorry if i have posted in the wrong thread.

I am needing a bit of help with my m50 swap. I am unsure which driveshaft to use as I will be using the getrag 240 and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info around that. I am wanting to know which driveshaft to use, which car it is out of, auto or manual etc. Any help would be much appreciated. 

Cheers

What car is it going into? I believe for an E30 you'll need a manual driveshaft ex E30, and from E36 it will need the manual driveshaft from an E36.

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, Mad_Max said:

What car is it going into? I believe for an E30 you'll need a manual driveshaft ex E30, and from E36 it will need the manual driveshaft from an E36.

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong.

Hey man. Yup going into an e30. I have been told the e30 320i front half of the driveshaft  will work but Im not too sure as alot of other people have different opinions

I'm pretty sure there's a difference in overall length between the 4 and 6 cylinder driveshafts, so if you're putting it behind a 6 cylinder motor you'll need the 320I front half, if it's going behind a 4 cylinder you'll need one from a 318I. 

I'm hoping someone else on here who knows the E30's better can either confirm the above, or shoot me down in a ball of flames lol.

240 will need a manual e30 320 driveshaft . all the rear halfs are the same in e30, just the front that changes. 

39 minutes ago, polley said:

240 will need a manual e30 320 driveshaft . all the rear halfs are the same in e30, just the front that changes. 

Is that a definite? If so, then I think we've found our answer

39 minutes ago, polley said:

Hey man check the reply under yours!

If you're using a getrag 240 off a 320i M20 for your M50 then yes... use a 320i M20 manual driveshaft.

3 hours ago, polley said:

If you're using a getrag 240 off a 320i M20 for your M50 then yes... use a 320i M20 manual driveshaft.

I am using a getrag 240 off an m40, is there any difference? If so, how can i check? 

You might struggle with that, pretty sure the ones off m40 had different bell housing.

14 minutes ago, polley said:

You might struggle with that, pretty sure the ones off m40 had different bell housing.

I'm pretty sure, after trying to fit a G240 box ex E30 320I into an E36 328I the only difference between the boxes was the bottom two bolt holes on the bell housing don't quite line up.

I'm pretty sure you also have to do something with the thrust bearing, I can't remember but it might've been a specific year of 325I bearing. That's assuming he is using an M5X flywheel and clutch combo.

4 hours ago, Mad_Max said:

I'm pretty sure, after trying to fit a G240 box ex E30 320I into an E36 328I the only difference between the boxes was the bottom two bolt holes on the bell housing don't quite line up.

I'm pretty sure you also have to do something with the thrust bearing, I can't remember but it might've been a specific year of 325I bearing. That's assuming he is using an M5X flywheel and clutch combo.

The flywheel and clutch combo im am using is from an m20. I have been told that the g240 from a m40 will work with the m50 but the g240 from a 320i will not work with an m50

Ari, most of the posts above are not relevant to you so don't let them lead you astray. I can tell from your posts you are on the right track.

I have done an M52 into an E30 (externally dimensionally identical to the M50 as far as your question is concerned), using a G240 box from an M40, unlike the other people posting.

You need to use all E30 320i gear, driveshaft and shifters as well. upgrading the rear axles is of course also a good idea tho beyond the scope of your question.

since flywheel came up above, I used a shaved M20 flywheel, clutch, throwout bearing etc setup in my conversion. everything behind the end of the crank should be M20/M40 stuff if you want to use that box.

M20 G240 does not bolt up properly to M5x motors and will be on a lean. It is a cheapskate bodge that doesn't last.

PM or call me if you need.

Edited by _ethrty-Andy_
typo
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

M20 G240 does not bolt up properly to M5x motors and will be on a lean. It is a cheapskate bodge that doesn't last.

Oh yep. How does it not last?

if its not the incorrect oil volume because the filler hole is in the wrong place, or the inadequate pickup of oil, or the fact its not rated for the torque, it is the shifter breaking because its either on the piss, or been cut and welded and no longer geometrically correct and therefore flexing every time that it gets used. Its a bodge.

Although using the M40 box is a bodge too, just not quite so bad, as at least it is only the fact its not rated for the torque you have to worry about, the rest is okay.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

not rated for the torque you have to worry about

Andy you may know the answer to this - is the number the maximum rated torque the Getrag box should withstand? Eg a G220 would be 220NM, a G240 like the OP has would be 240NM and so on.

the numbers indicate roughly where they are in the range Getrag produce,

They are no more relevant to whats inside the 'box than any modern BMWs badge indicating what engine is inside it.

2 hours ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

Ari, most of the posts above are not relevant to you so don't let them lead you astray. I can tell from your posts you are on the right track.

I have done an M52 into an E30 (externally dimensionally identical to the M50 as far as your question is concerned), using a G240 box from an M40, unlike the other people posting.

You need to use all E30 320i gear, driveshaft and shifters as well. upgrading the rear axles is of course also a good idea tho beyond the scope of your question.

since flywheel came up above, I used a shaved M20 flywheel, clutch, throwout bearing etc setup in my conversion. everything behind the end of the crank should be M20/M40 stuff if you want to use that box.

PM or call me if you need.

That Is such a great reply! So with the knowledge i have so far I will need, manual 320i front half of driveshaft (can I also make a driveshaft but trimming mine down? Have an engineering mate that can do it and is qualified) shaved m20 flywheel and matching starter, 320i gear linkages, m20 clutch and throwout bearing. If so, then I believe we are on the right track. Need to figure out a brake booster solution though, can't find any clio renault boosters around.

15 hours ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

if its not the incorrect oil volume because the filler hole is in the wrong place, or the inadequate pickup of oil, or the fact its not rated for the torque, it is the shifter breaking because its either on the piss, or been cut and welded and no longer geometrically correct and therefore flexing every time that it gets used. Its a bodge.

Although using the M40 box is a bodge too, just not quite so bad, as at least it is only the fact its not rated for the torque you have to worry about, the rest is okay.

If your shifter breaks after cut and welding it maybe you should take some classes in welding ?

On 1/18/2018 at 1:25 PM, polley said:

If your shifter breaks after cut and welding it maybe you should take some classes in welding ?

you should take out 'you' and 'your' from your comment above, as it is obviously aimed at someone else. I have never done it this way, because I don't half ass jobs.

Also, practical classes don't teach people any thing. experience does. anyone can get a piece of paper

Edited by _ethrty-Andy_

On 1/20/2018 at 6:27 PM, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

you should take out 'you' and 'your' from your comment above, as it is obviously aimed at someone else. I have never done it this way, because I don't half ass jobs.

Also, practical classes don't teach people any thing. experience does. anyone can get a piece of paper

wow:rolleyes: