Sign in to follow this  
Mitch9894

HOT325 1990 BMW M325i

Hi all

I am trying to track down my Fathers old M325i he bought it new in 1990 its a red 1990 M325i now with the plate HOT325. the odds are not in my favor as it hasn't had a WOF in 4 years and rego in 2. Which breaks my heart knowing its sitting somewhere rotting (or maybe someone has converted into a race car?). Unfortunately NZTA wont tell the anything about the Owner as of a law put in place in 2010, Carjam is also effected by this law.

I'm based in Auckland.

Any info on this car would be greatly appreciated!

Have you paid for the car jam report? My car shows as last registered in 2015, but it’s been registered the whole time. It’s also got discrepancies in the report with regards to dates, like it says 2015, but has current mileage for example. 

Yes I have paid for a Carjam report so it should be the most up to date info. It says the car went for WOF in 2014 and failed and hasn't had one since. Rego expired in 2015 and lapsed in 2016 due to not being renewed. I know the current owner has had the car since 1999 and he presumably put the HOT325 plate on it.

if you pay for the report then it shows current info, providing the owner hasn't opted out of having their details shared. By default, everyone is opted in.

having said that, you can ring NZTA and give them the plate, they will tell you if the motor is still live in the system or not, but won't tell you (or shouldn't anyways) any more than that.

Yes your pretty much bang on there. I've given up on NZTA they wont tell me anything more than that its owned by an individual not a company, that's why I'm now reaching out to the forums for info/hope.

5 minutes ago, Mitch9894 said:

anything more than that its owned by an individual not a company

they aren't supposed to even tell you that much.

Go figure! HOT325 being a personalised plate, do you reckon Licensys would tell me who the plates registered to?

good idea, worth a shot maybe, though people usually don't update the details of their plate if it is sold/purchased, and they probably aren't supposed to tell you either.

Privacy laws, for better or for worse, prevent this sort of thing from occurring.

Edited by _ethrty-Andy_
  • Like 1

Necroposting!

Yeah, she's my baby.

I had it repainted, and some work done (Camshaft grind, valves, polishing of Conrods, lightened Crankshaft & Flywheel, polished Cyl Head, Face & Cut Valve Seats, Bore Block, Oil Pump, New Pistons, Rockers, main & big end bearings, Clutch Set, Motec M48).

Yes, unfortunately it sits (securely) in storage, and oddly I can't find a more recent picture than 2007

1st photo is after re-spray and when it went into storage. (back when taking photos was hard). The colour looks better in person.

2nd photo is pre-respray.

2007-12-17 22.37.37.JPG

2006-02-06 13.51.50 - Copy.jpg

Edited by Biship
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, Biship said:

@m325i here's another (my other) red car you should own/drive:

Nice! - I've got one. Drive it a fair bit more than you though!