Sign in to follow this  
Palazzo

Vin decoders

Are there any vin decoders that show more detail than what I can access through etkbmw for example?

I have 2 sites showing Lock Differential 25%, but am wanting the ratio?

Can’t read the tag properly.

I’ve looked at 3 or 4 decoders now, all say LSD, none have ratio. I thought Brent had one he shared on here once.

Just lift the car, rotate the driveshaft to check wheel/driveshaft ratio

will show on RealOEM if you enter in last 7 digits of your chassis.

I tried Realoem, lists various parts for the diff. If I use the text drill down part, only lists parts for an LSD, good?

nah looking in the wrong place I think. Look for diff listed as a complete exchange unit, usually part number 1.

If you post your VIN I will look it up and screen capture (if I can remember how on a Mac)

That Vin shows the following:

Feb 1986 build date. 

NZ New or maybe UK import etc, not a Jap or SA car anyways.

3.46 Medium case, used on both the 325i and the 325e

if the tag doesn't say 3,46 then it may say "45 13"

The later diff showing post September 1986 is 3.64 (much more common 325i ratio), tag may also say "40 11"

if it shows any other series of 4 numbers, you take the first two and put it over the second two and that will give you the ratio.

However as Grant says above, best is still to rotate the drive shaft and count the rotations. use a chalk mark on the input and BOTH outputs, yes even tho LSD the two outputs may spin at different ratios as the LSD is unlikely to still be working at this age.

Hope this helps :)

• Like 1

But to sum up, it’s most likely between 3.46 and 3.64 and is LSD?

Certain it’s a uk car.

13 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

But to sum up, it’s most likely between 3.46 and 3.64 and is LSD?

Certain it’s a uk car.

well it can't be between that, as there is no ratio made between them, has to be one or the other.

But now is more than 30 years old plus and I don't know milage, any previous owner could have changed it at some point for whatever reason, even small case diffs bolt in fine etc. best is always to check at this age,

VIN decoders are only ever accurate as at the date of production, and that VIN above left the factory with a 3.46:1 LSD

Edited by _ethrty-Andy_

Is this for your 'vert Scott or another E30? The VIN checks out to an E30 Coupe.

Using the factory ETK system, and for that VIN the final drive is 41:11 which is 3.73:1 when it was built. As Andy says above could well have been changed by now, so physicall check is probably only way to tell. Also, a good skid will tell you if the LSD still works.. one stipe = no, two stripes = yes.

And yes, UK version so sold new in UK (or possibly Ireland).

It’s off a car I found. Now in the back of my car. Will most likely go in to the Grey M325i I posted in “What did you do to your bmw today”, or into the ‘vert, once one of them has been rebuilt. This is smooth, quiet and no leaks.

Got the tag cleaned today.

B30D19FC-F84A-4EC7-B407-803A97FAB28F.jpeg

• Like 1