Sign in to follow this  
viskop

E46 330i Shocks Needed

Hi everyone,

Any idea where I can go to get a set of REAR shocks installed (at a good price) for my 2000 BMW 330i? I've been quoted just over $600 (Midas) for 2 rears, incl installation and wheel balancing, but for me that is too expensive.

Any ideas, advise would be appreciated.

In NZ, including parts, labour, and gst... that’s not a horrible price. 

11 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

In NZ, including parts, labour, and gst... that’s not a horrible price. 

Thanks Gabriel. That is crazy. In that case I'll just have to keep driving the car as it is. :unsure:

1 minute ago, BimmerShaun said:

Why not install yourself? It's super easy. Your choice of course!?

Uhm...I've never tried/done it before (I sit behind a desk all day)...so I'm not sure. I'll google and see if I can see videos. Thanks Shaun! :-)

FCP Euro or Pelicanparts. <$350 (shouldn't be any GST) for OEM Sachs with new shock mounts and bump stops (which you should do also)

Easy to install yourself with basic tools as long as you got a set of axle stands and jack. Plenty of writes ups.

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 1

once you've done the rears, you'll realise you need to do the fronts soon.

The rears are very easy to do, particularly if yours is not a Touring.  the Touring has a shitload more interior bodywork you need to disassemble/reassemble to do the job.

here's a fun video to show you just how easy it is on the sedan.   Sadly Jerry has now sold his e46, but he'll tell you how it is.  No BS.  He's awesome.

7 hours ago, Eagle said:

FCP Euro or Pelicanparts. <$350 (shouldn't be any GST) for OEM Sachs with new shock mounts and bump stops (which you should do also)

Easy to install yourself with basic tools as long as you got a set of axle stands and jack. Plenty of writes ups.

Thanks Jared. :)

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

once you've done the rears, you'll realise you need to do the fronts soon.

The rears are very easy to do, particularly if yours is not a Touring.  the Touring has a shitload more interior bodywork you need to disassemble/reassemble to do the job.

here's a fun video to show you just how easy it is on the sedan.   Sadly Jerry has now sold his e46, but he'll tell you how it is.  No BS.  He's awesome.

Hi Olaf,

The fronts have already been replaced. My son paid for that :rolleyes:. As for the video, hardly 3 seconds in I paused it (we have a young child in the house) as this guys is very filthy with his mouth, and I hate it when adults think it is very funny to curse like that :(. Anyhow, I did manage to check 2 other youtube videos and have a rough idea of what will be required by me to do. I don't have all the tools, and time, so will get a few more quotes, buy the shocks, and my son will "twist" the mechanics arms at his work (with a case of beers :P) to see if they will do the job.

Depending on what front shocks you installed you could also use the Bilstein B4's which are slighter firmer and cheaper and available from the same places

FCP have a lifetime warranty too

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Depending on what front shocks you installed you could also use the Bilstein B4's which are slighter firmer and cheaper and available from the same places

FCP have a lifetime warranty too

Awesome, thanks for this updated, Jared. I appreciate it. :thumbs-up:

Cheers, Charl

1 hour ago, viskop said:

Thanks Jared. :)

Hi Olaf,

The fronts have already been replaced. My son paid for that :rolleyes:. As for the video, hardly 3 seconds in I paused it (we have a young child in the house) as this guys is very filthy with his mouth, and I hate it when adults think it is very funny to curse like that :(

so you missed out on his pearl "that was easier than picking up a drunk fat girl at the bar", then. :ph34r:

happy to fit them if needed. I can order in too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

so you missed out on his pearl "that was easier than picking up a drunk fat girl at the bar", then. :ph34r:

Yep :mellow:

1 hour ago, Herbmiester said:

Rears are easy fronts a bit more effort just do it yourself.

Thanks John, but I don't have the tools, the setup (garage space), or the time. My son will discuss with his mechanics on Tuesday. Fingers crossed...

2 minutes ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

happy to fit them if needed. I can order in too.

Will send you a personal message soon Andy. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

who hasn't done that.

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

"I've never been to bed with an ugly girl but I've woken up with a few"

1 hour ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

"I've never been to bed with an ugly girl but I've woken up with a few"

LOL!

strapped on the Beer Goggles, and somehow whisked home on the Beer Scooter. ;)

Edited by Olaf

I've just ordered a set of Koni Sports through Russell Leach at George Stocks for my E46 330i MSport Touring (same shocks for sedan/coupe). He looks after my race car shocks, and has been great to deal with. The Koni Sport is a much superior shock over the OEM Sachs, plus you get the benefit of rebound adjustment. In stock in NZ too :thumbs-up:

• Like 1

Koni's are great and all but probably the worse choice in this case. 

4 hours ago, Eagle said:

Koni's are great and all but probably the worse choice in this case. 

Care to elaborate? You can’t just drop that hand grenade in there and leave us all hanging! 

Edited by NZ BMW

OP says he wants to save money not spend more. Koni's = expensive (esp in NZ) and having them on the rear with some unknown front shocks isn't worth it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eagle said:

OP says he wants to save money not spend more. Koni's = expensive (esp in NZ) and having them on the rear with some unknown front shocks isn't worth it.

Hmm you're right, bit of a tough one. I guess I meant that they're quite a good option bang for buck. Hell, the dealer quoted me circa $500 per shock for OEM Sachs, and  $250-$270 per shock for Bilstein B4's. Personally unless the existing shocks were low km and one had a premature leak/fault, I would be swapping out all four. If two need replacing, the other two can't be too far away?

• Like 1

Thanks all for your replies and advise. :)

I am waiting on 3 quotes for rear shocks (it is Wellington Anniversary today, and I suspect I'll get the quotes tomorrow), and will then see where this is going to take me.

Thanks again.

Charl

I have received the following quotes from SAS: @_ethrty-Andy_...what do you think, which make/set should I go for? My zero-knowledge-of-shocks-brain-cell says the hydraulic ones. Or is the gas ones better? B)

2 x SHOCKS- KYB HIGH PRESSURE GAS = $277.12

2 x SHOCKS- KONI HYDRAULIC = $247.74

I have also asked SAS for quotes for front shocks (just in case). I found out that the front arms were replaced by my son beginning of Dec 2017, so not the front shocks as I initially thought.