Sign in to follow this  
viskop

E46 330i Shocks Needed

KYB dont do front gas shocks for the E46 from memory but there gas shocks are reasonable, that said I would go Koni. I have had the STRT shocks on my E36 and they matched the factory M sport springs nicely. 

• Like 2

Not bad pricing, Def Koni street over KYB

How many k's has the car done?, are you doing them for a WOF? Should be able to tell if front shocks have been replaced or not. Shocks are ones of those things you really want to replace all at once if worn otherwise the rear end will tend to show up how bad the front is, vise versa.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

KYB dont do front gas shocks for the E46 from memory but there gas shocks are reasonable, that said I would go Koni. I have had the STRT shocks on my E36 and they matched the factory M sport springs nicely. 

Thanks John. :)

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

Not bad pricing, Def Koni street over KYB

How many k's has the car done?, are you doing them for a WOF? Should be able to tell if front shocks have been replaced or not. Shocks are ones of those things you really want to replace all at once if worn otherwise the rear end will tend to show up how bad the front is, vise versa.

Cheers Jared. My 2000 E46 BMW 330i has done just over 87000kms. And no, it is not for WOF (yet). With the last WOF in Dec 2017 they picked up that the left rear shock was leaking, hence the reason why I thought to get both rears and maybe fronts (if the fronts are within my bank overdraft balance) replaced.  

Yeah def replace both the rears at the same time but at those k's they the shocks should still operate well enough unless its had a hard life road wise. Leaving the fronts for some other time if $ is an issue wouldn't be so bad in this case.

The fronts will cost about 2x as much as you are buying the whole strut housing + much longer to remove and install 

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Eagle said:

Yeah def replace both the rears at the same time but at those k's they the shocks should still operate well enough unless its had a hard life road wise. Leaving the fronts for some other time if $ is an issue wouldn't be so bad in this case.

The fronts will cost about 2x as much as you are buying the whole strut housing + much longer to remove and install 

I have no idea what kind of life this E46 had before my son bought it for us for Christmas 2017 - I am the 2nd owner. The E46 was traded in at Winger BMW here in Wellies end Nov 2017, so my son took it off his manager's hands (yes, my son works at BMW :rolleyes:) and gave it to me. The interior is spotless (9.95 out of 10), the outside is about 9 out of 10.

Thanks again for the advise, I'll see what quotes I'll get from SAS tomorrow for the fronts. ^_^