Sign in to follow this  
Racer Rog

Windscreen wipers not working

Parked my E39 Touring up, needed a new front wheel bearing and Thought I would replace disc's and pads all round so getting that underway thought I had better check everything else for WoF, now the wipers don't go rears OK washers work, but front wipers don't go got into the front ECU box on left hand side of engine bay after reading on web that a relay lives in there and some times plays up, well none there, just about pulled everything apart except interior, any ideas as what the problem maybe, fuses are ok, if I am looking at the correct ones. They were working OK, never had any trouble with them, don't know if the old girl has got the pip with me or what, but have never had any electrical problems before, other than alternator, which was worn brushes and easy fix and fitted new bearings at same time. Its a 1997 model 528 Touring.

Earlier models like yours may have 2x purple ones closest to the ecu instead of 1x brown like the later models.

Yep see those will have a look, thanks trap there as the manual does not mention those ones.

Went through everything, replaced relays checked fuses, got a new wiper swith unit from the States, (at a 1/4 of the price of one here, including shipping OEM part) still not working, have now got to the Central Control module, part number 601-0728-011 UTA, how do I check this?

By your description you are simply stabbing in the dark & wasting money in the process. Wiper switch was hardly cheap when it was not required. Take it to an auto sparky to get it checked properly!

most comon issue with the e39 wipers is the motor .

sell heaps of them