Sign in to follow this  
JamesDeezy

E46 318ci

3 hours ago, Matich said:

I was thinking of it being light and zippy for more of an autocross car, something about squeezing power out of small engines is fun

Its heavier than the m54b30 because its an iron block.

By the time you add a turbo or supercharger it will be even heavier again.

13 minutes ago, qube said:

buy a mini cooper s 1.6L turbo in a small light weight car = fun

Wow, the dark side wants to expand...

• Like 1

Welcome James enjoy your 318  for what it is while it is up and running. Hopefully it will serve you well and not empty your wallet to quickly over your ownership of it. The members on here give advise freely most of which has been gained from personnel experience so no negativity is intend although it may seem that way. Unfortunately the N42, N46 engine range has a very long list of well documented faults and if one has not had any of them consider one very very lucky. As mentioned the M43 would be the one  4 pot to have if fitted due to the general weight of most bmws. The larger straight 6 or if your fancy leans to an 8 are the preferred motors options hence the plug for the M54B30. Any how good motoring James and may you have many worry free k's roll your way.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2018 at 8:24 PM, gjm said:

Which engine does your car have? If the M43TU, there's not much that can be done. Even forced induction is limited in scope because of the engine design - it's intended to be economical. (To be honest, for a commuting car this is probably close to perfect.)

The N42 may respond a little better; I know very little about them.

However, neither has 150hp. Perhaps yours is a later model with the N46 engine? An ECU remap, cold air intake and cat-back performance exhaust could add 10Hp, but is a lot of work for not much gain. Supercharging is expensive, but could lift power output to 200-230hp.

Hello, i have a 2000 e46 318ci (N42)

Can some one recomend me a supercharger kit?