Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Gissa job!

On 7/3/2018 at 10:11 PM, M3AN said:

Give me an OpenStack engineer with 2 years experience over somebody who drew a cloud on a whiteboard ...

In those days the cloud was a magic device that stuff went into, a miracle occurred, and it came out different!

2 hours ago, jom said:

Should have made it clear that this was for a project management job... anything more than 2 years of familiarity is going to be pretty irrelevant. Some of us can pick up the tech bit quite fast. It's the people skills that should be the focus with a PM.

And while we're on the cloud... god help the NZ government if the Trans-Tasman cable ever goes down....

Yup - new strategy, but want 10 years experience of something no-one will ever use again. It's a familiar story.

People skills are imperative when managing anyone, or any extensive piece of work, but companies don't seem to have woken up to that yet.

There's so little actual cloud in NZ that it beggars belief. There's some small-scale implementations, but nothing with true resilience or BC. And the other thing so many people lose sight of is data sovereignty - NZ law requires much of NZ data to be kept in NZ, and not under the control of someone in the US, India, some funny little island somewhere...

"Are you an experienced Project Manager- Network and Infrastructure with a background in finance sector..."

What does 'finance sector' have to do with it?

I think the background question is relevant to infrastructure, perhaps not so much for networks. A relevant background means you'll come in with an existing understanding of the systems in place, the topology of the environment, where business pressure and pain comes from, an industry understanding of online and batch operations, regulatory requirements etc, etc.

Is it compulsory? Shouldn't be but it's a competitive advantage over an otherwise equal candidate.

I emphasis my insurance, telco and media industry background(s) for this reason.

give me a construction site any day.

can't get IT'ed out, and experience rules every time . And smart little shits don't know it all.

that said.

I do have to keep on top of the health and safety rules 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard said:

can't get IT'ed out, and experience rules every time . And smart little shits don't know it all.

that said.

Some of the stuff I see on IT-related jobs is tantamount to saying "must have experience building 4-bedroom houses"; an applicant who has built 3 bedroom ones doesn't have the experience, and those who've built 5-bedroom places don't understand the scale or budget required.

2 hours ago, richard said:

that said.

Most importantly, in construction you can see, touch and feel exactly what you've designed and built after you've done it, it's a visceral satisfaction. Not so much in IT.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, M3AN said:

Most importantly, in construction you can see, touch and feel exactly what you've designed and built after you've done it, it's a visceral satisfaction. Not so much in IT.

nothing like walking around a project with a sense pride knowing that it'll be there for years.

here's my latest

600meters long, 7 stores high, 80m wide, 128 apartments.....

IMG_5416.JPG

IMG_5417.JPG

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, how long does that take to build?

600meters long, 7 stores high, 80m wide.....

For a minute, I thought you were talking about the new X7 in this thread:

• Haha 3

600meters long, 7 stores high, 80m wide, 128 apartments.....

But will it leak?

1 hour ago, qube said:

Just out of curiosity, how long does that take to build?

this one started late 2016 and should ( fingers crossed) be finished jan 2019

12 minutes ago, M3AN said:

But will it leak?

No. Not on my watch. :ph34r:

• Like 2

On 7/5/2018 at 1:55 PM, gjm said:

There's so little actual cloud in NZ that it beggars belief. There's some small-scale implementations, but nothing with true resilience or BC. And the other thing so many people lose sight of is data sovereignty - NZ law requires much of NZ data to be kept in NZ, and not under the control of someone in the US, India, some funny little island somewhere...

i disagree with your first sentence. i know for fact your second sentence is not true.

More and more of my job is visiting the same data centre sites on a weekly if not monthly basis, so much so its easier that i have my own access card to most of them now, and I'm sure you know the performance it takes to get those.

13 hours ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

i disagree with your first sentence. i know for fact your second sentence is not true.

More and more of my job is visiting the same data centre sites on a weekly if not monthly basis, so much so its easier that i have my own access card to most of them now, and I'm sure you know the performance it takes to get those.

I think that the point that i was trying to make is that the new flavour for Cloud is either Azure (Microsoft) or AWS (Amazon) both of which have datacentres as close as Sydney....

Riiight...

Interview in New Plymouth on Friday arvo. Travel arrangements will be to drive over: driving to Auckland airport and flying would (in total) take about the same length of time, offers no flexibility, and probably costs more (even if I travel alone). Mrs M will accompany me on the trip and we may stay over and have a little tiki tour before heading back.

@Breaker - Brent, are you round on Friday evening/Saturday? Any suggestions for somewhere to stay? The company will forward some hotel recommendations, but I expect them to be of the Novotel variety. (Which can be fine. :) )

• Like 4

5 hours ago, gjm said:

Riiight...

Interview in New Plymouth on Friday arvo. Travel arrangements will be to drive over: driving to Auckland airport and flying would (in total) take about the same length of time, offers no flexibility, and probably costs more (even if I travel alone). Mrs M will accompany me on the trip and we may stay over and have a little tiki tour before heading back.

@Breaker - Brent, are you round on Friday evening/Saturday? Any suggestions for somewhere to stay? The company will forward some hotel recommendations, but I expect them to be of the Novotel variety. (Which can be fine. :) )

Would love to mate but parked in AKLD now. Novotel is a good spot right in town. The Quest serviced appartments are great option, Grand Chancellor is a little older but still good standard. Better to be right in town, you can walk everywhere then, restaurants , out to the water front etc.

Great spot is the social kitchen if your after something to convince the better half and are partial to a meatfest. Most of the restaurants in town are pretty good though to be honest, all walking distance.

Taxi or shuttle to town is an easy cheap trip fro, the airport.

good luck !!

6 hours ago, gjm said:

Riiight...

sh43 beckons!

I got my fingers crossed for ya too mate!

Fingers crossed for ya too - hope the interview goes well!  And travel safe ☺️

Edited by treone

Good luck Graham?

Thanks to everyone for their support. I really appreciate it! If I am offered the role I suspect I'll accept it, and we have plans for where we'll live if that is the eventuality. In which case, there'll be a party come summer... ;) 

• Like 2

Good luck Graham.

And if you dont get the job, take the repco one so we can all bug you for discounts.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/10/2018 at 6:13 PM, Breaker said:

The Quest serviced appartments are great option, Grand Chancellor is a little older but still good standard. Better to be right in town, you can walk everywhere then, restaurants , out to the water front etc.

Great spot is the social kitchen if your after something to convince the better half and are partial to a meatfest. Most of the restaurants in town are pretty good though to be honest, all walking distance.

Taxi or shuttle to town is an easy cheap trip fro, the airport.

good luck !!

Booked in to the Quest. Got 10% off an already discounted price... Quite important that bit! Somewhere clean and convenient is far more important than fancy trim, decor and so on. :)

On 7/10/2018 at 7:12 PM, kiwi535 said:

sh43 beckons!

I got my fingers crossed for ya too mate!

No SH43 shenanigans this time around! This is a mission with purpose - fun'n'games on 43 can be had another time. ;) 

• Like 1